Oriana Fallaci has died

In Florence.

She was one of the most fearless and courageous defenders Western civilization had in these latter days, and the West rewarded her by hounding, persecuting and vilifying her.

Such is the state of the society and culture she loved and tried to save from itself.

I was surprised and honored when she named me as one of her “comrades in arms…pals…buddies” in an appendix to the English edition of The Force of Reason. Many times in her last months, after she did me the honor of calling me her friend, I spent time with her that I will always hold dear. Her apartment in New York City was a mesmerizing and unique collection of artifacts from her marvelous career and a monument to her erudition and avid interest in human civilization, human achievement.

One indelible evening she invited me there — no, summoned me there, in her inimitable way — and we spent hours drinking fine wine and discussing the state of the world, and her fascinating and hilarious reminiscences of her encounters with the Ayatollah Khomeini, Archbishop Makarios, Henry Kissinger, Deng Xiaoping, Pope Benedict XVI, and so many others.

She was weak and ill, but her mind — and her observations — were as sharp as ever. During the evening a prominent conservative writer who is soft on the Islamic jihad in the way many mainstream conservatives are (following the wishful-thinking Religion of Peace That Has Been Hijacked By A Tiny Minority Of Extremists line) telephoned. Oriana took the call, spoke with him for awhile, and then hung up, turned to me, and said: “I don’t like him! He is stupid!”

She always told the truth, no matter how unpopular, no matter how politically incorrect.

And as she began to slip away, I often thought to myself, What can I do for Oriana? Of course, the only answer was to do exactly what I am doing here at this site, and in my books, and in traveling around the country speaking, trying to alert people to the reality and magnitude of the global jihad.

I invite you, then, on this day of sadness and loss, to pay tribute to Oriana. There is no way we can make up for what we have lost in her. But the best way we can pay tribute to Oriana is by becoming Oriana. Let there be a hundred new Orianas today, a thousand new passionate and articulate and absolutely unbowed defenders of Western culture and civilization, with a fine contempt for all the many weapons of physical and psychological intimidation that the jihadists and their non-Muslim allies and tools in the Western media and government establishments use to try to silence and discredit us.

Buy her books. Give them to your friends and coworkers. Explain to them why she said — as is quoted in the obituary linked above — that “Europe becomes more and more a province of Islam, a colony of Islam.” Explain to them why that matters for so much that they hold dear. Enlist them also in the anti-jihad resistance. And fight the jihad and Islamic supremacism the way she did, with the fire and light of truth, with an untiring defense for the rights and dignity of the human individual, with good humor, with immense joy in living, and with a love for the elements of the good life that the jihadis are determined to efface: art, music, love.

And when we prevail, we will be able to memorialize her fittingly, as a light that shone in our darkest days.

I will never forget her. How could I? I even have a phone message from her that I keep saving so that it doesn’t disappear — just so that I can hear her voice.

Ciao, Oriana. I love you.

May her memory be eternal.

Blogging the Qur'an: Introduction
Spencer: My Invitation From al-Qaeda

Comments

I’m in shock.

A woman of tremendous courage, with a passionate love of our western civilisation.

She was a lone candle who shed a light so that others may see the evil that was lurking in the shadows.

Rest in Peace, Oriana.

God bless her and may she rest in peace. A true hero and woman of great integrity and courage.
    My guess is that when she had a private audience with Pope Benedict not long ago, she implored him to speak out against Islamic Jihad. She knew he could be a powerful voice for our culture and perhaps it was her last great act of resistance to impress upon him the true nature of what we are up against. And lo and behold, he did some homework and now he speaks. Thank you Oriana!

Robert,

Saddden to read about Oriana’s passing. God rest her soul. She was a hero for speaking out in truth about Islam. Glad Pope Benedict the 16th learned from her and is now speaking out.

Genius, Warrior, Truth Teller, A woman of many parts [and from what i hear, a great cook] all in all one helluva broad. She will be sorely, sorely missed

R.I.P Oriana. Here’s a poignant paragraph from “Rage and pride”–
    “In this world there is room for everybody, I say. In one’s own home, everyone is free to do what they please. If in some countries the women are so stupid to accept the chador, or the veil where they have to look through a thick net at eye level, worse for them. If they are so idiotic to accept not going to school, not going to the doctor, not letting themselves be photographed etcetera, well worse for them. If they are so foolish as to marry a prick that wants four wives, too bad for them. If their men are so silly as to not drink beer, wine, ditto. I am not going to be the one to stop them. Far from it! I have been educated in the concept of liberty, and my mother used to say: “the world is beautiful because it is varied”. But, if they demand to impose these things on me, in my house… and they do demand it. Osama Bin Laden affirms that the entire planet Earth must become Muslim, that we must convert to Islam, that either by convincing us or threatening us, he will convert us, and for that goal he massacres us and will continue to massacre us. This cannot please us. It has to give us a great desire to reverse roles and kill him. However, this will not resolve itself, it will not be exhausted with the death of Osama Bin Laden. This is because the Osama Bin Ladens number in the tens of thousands now and they are not confined to the Arabic countries. They are everywhere, and the most militant are in the West. In our cities, our streets, our universities, in the nerve centers of our technology. That technology that any obtuse can manage. The Crusade has been underway for a while. It works like a Swiss watch, sustained by a faith and a malice which compares only to the malice of Torquemada when he led the Inquisition. In fact it is impossible to deal with them. To reason with them, unthinkable. To treat them with indulgence or tolerance or hope, is suicide. Anyone who believes the contrary, is deluding himself”

Some good has come out of this. The leading Italian newspapers, unanimously, treat her as a heroine and a glory of the nation. No hint of the kind of doubletalk, “yes, but”, and guest spots by “moderate” Muslims that a similar occasion would bring about in the New Jerk Dimes or the Grannyad. Italy’s leading newspaper, Il Corriere della Sera, has reprinted in full, and free, the Italian version of The Rage and the Pride on its website. If any of you can read Italian, this is the link to Chapter One: http://www.corriere.it/Primo_Piano/Cronache/2006/09_Settembre/15/rabbia1.shtml. You can go on from there.

History has a long list of people like Oriana Fallaci, people vilified in their time by indignant conventional wisdom, people such as Socrates, Galileo Galilei, Jeanne d’Arc, etc. They are untimely largely because reason, truth, logic and mathematics and love are eternal in a temporary world. Oriana Fallaci lived for what is eternal in time.

Reason is God’s gift to man and Oriana did not bury her talent. Reason is the parent of irony and humor. Her spirit will smile in a future time when she is called a saint.

The world is a poorer place today with the loss of Oriana Fallaci. May the brave words and inspiring influence of this outstanding and courageous woman continue to do their work. My condolences to you Robert.

God has called one of His angels home. May He grant that we will be able to carry on her work.

“The Strength of Reason,” accused Europe of having sold its soul to what Fallaci described as an Islamic invasion. …Fallaci said the continent “has sold itself and sells itself to the enemy like a prostitute.”
    An apt comparrison, Oriana. The New Testament talks about the “Whore of Babylon”. Perhaps the Whore is Europe.
    “Europe becomes more and more a province of Islam, a colony of Islam,” she wrote.
    The current invasion, Fallaci went on to say, is not carried out only by the “terrorists who blow up themselves along with skyscrapers or buses” but also by “the immigrants who settle in our home, and who, with no respect for our laws, impose their ideas, their customs, their God.”
    The only change I would dare make to what she so eloquently said is to say “their FALSE god.”

I feel deeply saddened by Oriana’s death. She was a rare spirit and her tireless and heart-spoken words were a source of inspiration to all of us. Her death cannot take away her boundless spirit which I’m convinced resides in all of us.

She will be missed. In a world where truth is becoming a thing of the past,hers was a welcome voice…We need more like Oriana Fallaci willing to take on the fight and speak the truth even if it means taking a beating.May God bless her and keep her.

Into the company of G-d’s Righteous you go, Oriana.

Her dying in bed was unexpected. She did what she did in order to prevent dying in bed from being unexpected for all non-Muslims worldwide.

Not only was Oriana Fallaci a great read, but an inspiration to reason and truth. I smile knowing she has not gone softly into the night and leaves us all a body of work that will continue to speak in her absence.

I’m just stunned! This is such sad news. Mr. Spencer, my sincere condolences on the loss of your dear friend.

Her memorial is remarkable, however. She’s created an entire generation of…well, of matyoshka dolls – those Russian dolls nested one inside the next. She’s gone, but Mr. Spencer is here, and so’s Hugh, and so are all of the readers of JW. As we’ve all been encouraged by her words and inspired by her acts, we’re all going to be a continuous tribute to her memory as long as each of us carries on the fight, and as long as each of us spreads the information about the threat facing all of us.

Bright is the ring of words
    When the right man rings them,
    Fair the fall of songs
    When the singer sings them.
    Still they are carolled and said —
    On wings they are carried–
    After the singer is dead
    And the maker buried.

(RLS. Songs of Travel XIV)

Called home to God, may she rest in peace and may light perpetual shine upon her.

I am happy that she could be reconciled with the church in the last mnoments, she was an inmense spirit, and she did a lot of good things, she was vehement, because the current situation is denunciable, God bless her and remember her.

Oriana Fallaci was one of the very few who dared to voice what many more think, but have been, and remain, too fearful or inarticulate to do so.

The Islamic lot should be proud of themselves for adding unnecessary stress on this lady when she was so ill and fighting for her life. After all, she offended these gutless panty waists.

May the free world, and all of Europe in particular, soon recognize how valiantly and articulately she fought against jihad and dhimmitude, and may Europe honor her memory by seceding from the “Eurabia” in which it has allowed itself to become a colony.

God bless her.

Orianna Fallaci’s courageous life story would make for a terrific movie.

Born in Florence,Italy on June 29, 1929, she grew up in Benito Mussolini’s fascist regime and while still in her teens joined her father in the Italian Resistance movement.

Her Journalism career began in 1950. Her strong approach to interviews can strongly be remembered from Henry Kissinger, to the Ayatollah Khomenei who walked out on her after she removed her chador during the interview. During a student uprising in Mexico,she was shot 3 times.

I’d like to think that Orianna did in fact influence the Pope during some of her last days on the clash that is coming from Islam against western societies. Now we can hope that the Pope and his followers will stand up to the threats that will now come at him for criticising Islam as she did.

Her courage in the face of Islam will be missed,but many will help to pick up the mantle as Robert Spencer does every day through his books and speeches.

God Bless her courage and her efforts to define the dangers that threaten the foundations of the worlds free societies against the suppressive tyranny that the controlling cult of Islam brings.

For all whom may have met or heard her through the years, I offer this prayer from the Anglican Book of Common Prayer,

55. For a Person in Trouble or Bereavement

O merciful Father, who hast taught us in thy holy Word that thou dost not willingly afflict or grieve the children of men:
    Look with pity upon the sorrows of thy servant for whom our prayers are offered. Remember him, O Lord, in mercy, nourish his soul with patience, comfort him with a sense of thy goodness, lift up thy countenance upon him, and give him peace; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

“Let there be a hundred new Orianas today”

Ok count me in, but I’m not going to wear a dress!

Seriously Robert, my sincerest condolences and I also will buy 10 of her books and donate them to libraries in Jihadwatch.com’s name.

RIP Oriana!

A couple of quotes from Oriana Fallaci’s The Rage and Pride.

“I am not speaking, obviously, to the laughing hyenas who enjoy seeing images of the wreckage and snicker good–it–serves–the–Americans–right. I am speaking to those who, though not stupid or evil, are wallowing in prudence and doubt. And to them I say: “Wake up, people. Wake up!!” Intimidated as you are by your fear of going against the current”that is, appearing racist (a word which is entirely inapt as we are speaking not about a race but about a religion)”you don’t understand or don’t want to understand that a reverse–Crusade is in progress. Accustomed as you are to the double–cross, blinded as you are by myopia, you don’t understand or don’t want to understand that a war of religion is in progress. Desired and declared by a fringe of that religion, perhaps, but a war of religion nonetheless. A war which they call Jihad. Holy War. A war that might not seek to conquer our territory, but that certainly seeks to conquer our souls. That seeks the disappearance of our freedom and our civilization. That seeks to annihilate our way of living and dying, our way of praying or not praying, our way of eating and drinking and dressing and entertaining and informing ourselves. You don’t understand or don’t want to understand that if we don’t oppose them, if we don’t defend ourselves, if we don’t fight, the Jihad will win. And it will destroy the world that for better or worse we’ve managed to build, to change, to improve, to render a little more intelligent, that is to say, less bigoted”or even not bigoted at all. And with that it will destroy our culture, our art, our science, our morals, our values, our pleasures…Christ! Don’t you realize that the Osama Bin Ladens feel authorized to kill you and your children because you drink wine or beer, because you don’t wear your beard long or a chador, because you go to the theater or the movies, because you listen to music and sing pop songs, because you dance in discos or at home, because you watch TV, wear miniskirts or short–shorts, because you go naked or half naked to the beach or the pool, because you fuck when you want and where you want and who you want? Don’t you even care about that, you fools? I am an atheist, thank God. And I have no intention of letting myself be killed for it.”

“To make you cry I’ll tell you about the twelve young impure men I saw executed at Dacca at the end of the Bangladesh war. They executed them on the field of Dacca stadium, with bayonet blows to the torso or abdomen, in the presence of twenty thousand faithful who applauded in the name of God from the bleachers. They thundered “Allah akbar, Allah akbar.” Yes, I know: the ancient Romans, those ancient Romans of whom my culture is so proud, entertained themselves in the Coliseum by watching the deaths of Christians fed to the lions. I know, I know: in every country of Europe the Christians, those Christians whose contribution to the History of Thought I recognize despite my atheism, entertained themselves by watching the burning of heretics. But a lot of time has passed since then, we have become a little more civilized, and even the sons of Allah ought to have figured out by now that certain things are just not done. After the twelve impure young men they killed a little boy who had thrown himself at the executioners to save his brother who had been condemned to death. They smashed his head with their combat boots. And if you don’t believe it, well, reread my report or the reports of the French and German journalists who, horrified as I was, were there with me. Or better: look at the photographs that one of them took. Anyway this isn’t even what I want to underline. It’s that, at the conclusion of the slaughter, the twenty thousand faithful (many of whom were women) left the bleachers and went down on the field. Not as a disorganized mob, no. In an orderly manner, with solemnity. They slowly formed a line and, again in the name of God, walked over the cadavers. All the while thundering Allah–akbar, Allah–akbar. They destroyed them like the Twin Towers of New York. They reduced them to a bleeding carpet of smashed bones.”

To a beautiful soul who died where it had all started again. In your language as best I can:

Arrivederci e può il dio benedire voi e la vostra anima bella e ardenta. Fino a che non veniamo a contatto di ancora.

ciao

Now, if only Benedict would speak as boldly as this self-proclaimed atheist.

Rest In Peace.

The world has lost a fine warrior in the fight for freedom. We must all do our share to continue her work. Rest in peace Oriana and thank your for passing on your wisdom and ideas while you were on Earth.

Oriana, you will be sorely missed… We all know that you were on the side of the all that is right and good about Western Civilization. I wish I could stand as you have against the tide of those that wish to damn and degrade you and our culture as though it has wronged the world.

You words inspire me, my family, friends and acquaintances. Your writings tell the truth, your memory will live on and you words will bear fruit in the coming clash between what is right and what is wrong. Your praises will be sung soon enough by those who so wanted to villify you. You were and will always be a soldier of the West. May your strong Latin spirit inspire and fortalize us to stand up to the Islamic threat that is poised to destroy us all.

You make me proud to be a member of civilization that has produced human spirits like yourself.

Dhimmitude be damned. Islam is the devil’s game!

Oriana.

But You don’t want us to cry, do you ?

You want that we try to imitate you, that we fight for Freedom always.
    We will.
    We will.
    We will.

And today You are in the Light of Truth and we ask You to pray for us, for all the Free World.

THANK YOU ORIANA, YOU MADE THE WORLD MORE LUMINOUS.

GGPPSGBS
    GGPPSGBS
    GGPPSGBS

Re: A couple of quotes from Oriana Fallaci’s The Rage and Pride.

“Then Jesus said to him (Peter), “Put your sword back into its place, for all those who take the sword will die by the sword.”-Matt. 26:52

Israel will be the terrible swift sword of revenge for Darfur and other Muslim crimes in the future. Islam will die by the sword.

I knew that her passing was imminent, but I’m so sad. Her passing comes right on the heels of the recent 9/11 tributes.

I posted Robert’s announcement HERE, at my own blog. I’m just too upset to use too many of my own words.

I miss her already!

Rest In Peace, Oriana. And thank you for your intellect and your defence of freedom. Your courage and persistence is an inspiration. We will carry on and defeat Jihad.

I was pleased to read Paolo’s report of her positive treatment in the Italian press.
    The ultimate enemy of myth is circumstance. Oriana helped expose the myths, while reality backs her up every day.

I registered here today because of Ms. Fallaci.

I really did not know of her except for this site, and I recently (within the last week) purchased “The Rage and the Pride” and “The Force of Reason”. I chuckled at her pointed wisdom, and I cried when I read about the three women who were executed in Afghanistan (in the ‘small-book’). I finished “Rage”last night, and my thoughts turned to finding a way to write to her and thank her for her commitment and her work. I guess I won’t be able to do that now.

Listen, I’m just a number cruncher in cubeville, no intellectual or philosophical giant. I’ve never been to half the places Oriana went to and wrote about, but what she wrote in the ‘small-book’ spoke clearly to me, and many times I found myself thinking “Wow, she thinks like I do! She’s saying exactly what I’ve thought about…”

I only know her ‘one book’s worth’. But I will miss her.

Oh, and thank you Mr. Spencer, for introducing her to me on your website.

So, my very first post on this site is dedicated to Oriana. Rest in peace, Ms. Fallaci. And thank you.

The tears flow down my cheeks,
    my heart is heavy.
    No words come to ease my pain.

“Oriana Fallaci Goes On Trial in Italy”
    6/13/06

The european Left hates Oriana Fallaci
    for she has committed the unpardonable sin.
    She has deviated from their path,
    she has broken their unspoken oath,
    taking up her “poisoned-tipped pen
    using it to oppress
    the downtrodden masses
    of peaceful islam.”

The Left has no shame and no honor
    and will burn in the flames of jiahd,
    while the light that Oriana brings
    will shine through the ages like a sun.

Oriana, Queen of Spades, 8/6/04

Oriana, Oriana
    bella Fallaci,
    wielding your words,
    sharp swords of Truth,
    in your own fashion,
    in true compassion.

By calling a spade a spade,
    greatness is made
    and inspires others.
    So rest in peace, Oriana,
    you’ve done your best.
    Your words live on.

Oriani Fallaci adressed her cancer in “The Rage and the Pride” saying she knew her remaining time on earth was short, but she desperately hoped to wake-up the world before she departed. She was amazingly articulate and fearless and impressive that she alone, translated her work into English (grammar be damned!) because the message was too important to trust the translation to others. (She knew some dhimmie editor would invaribly try to sanitize her words).

Today the Western World lost one of its most outspoken and gifted proponents against Jihad. May her message live on.

I am one of the lucky ones: I am old enough to have seen much of Oriana Fallaci’s life pass through humanity’s corridor, brightening the dark places, saying what others wouldn’t say. I remember her early days when she brooked no lie in an interview, when she asked the tough questions no one else would ask. I remember when she said that sitting in the presence of Muammar Qaddafi made her more afraid than anything in her life. But she lived long enough to see much worse. And she had the courage to turn that piercing intellect and blindingly-bright moral lamp onto dissembling whitewash and lie and every hidden agenda and subversive manipulation.

Oriana Fallaci always reminded me of a Siamese cat. Going straight off the ground, it lands atop a 6-foot etegiere with such surgical precision that the fragile tower of glass never even sways. Such GRACE.

But then, this same tiny little feline used to guard the treasuries and temples of Siam, attacking from heights above the thieves and aggressors who breached its security, a fierce little creature that grabbed the bad guy from behind and could bring down a grown made forty times its weight. Tiny little cat. Such GUTS.

I did not always agree with everything Oriana Fallaci said. But when she turned on radical Islam, she was not wrong. She told people the stories they didn’t want to hear because they didn’t want to admit they’d someday have to fight an enemy this cruel. The part of us that wants to turn our backs on the women whose hands were amputated without warning in a market in Kabul because their burqa sleeve fell beyond a wrist bone as they reached for an orange — the people bayoneted to death for “impurity” as if it were not the most impure thing to treat one of life’s brothers or sisters so viciously — the creeping loss of rights and protections and freedoms while much of the West JUST PLAIN CAVES — that part of us is shamed by the presence of brave people who refuse to let the Enlightenment die without a fight.

And to you, Robert, I know this loss is very hard for you, and I send you love and light for the grief I know you feel. It’s not a kindness to wish somebody who’s as sick as she was to live longer than she did, but still, it always seems as if there’s just a less little in the world when they go.

For Oriana Fallaci: The light you left in us will not stop shining. We will never forget you. You were the very definition of guts and grace. Thank you. Peace be the journey, Dear One.

Peace and Light,
    Morgaan Sinclair

God bless this wonderful spirit who is our sister.

Her last efforts for us were heroic and her last gift to us,her book, invaluable.

She has passed on a torch which we must honour and not waste.

It is now 11:40 am (US East Coast time). Why has CNN or FOX not released the news about Orianna’s death? Yet both news site mention about the death of Anna Nicole Smith’s 20 year-old son!

It is a truly sad day!

May God rest her soul.

This humble Westerner, pledges to fight in whatever way possible, to be as she was, fearless and determined. To carry the torch for her and our grandchildren.

In moments of great sadness and in the face of this implacable enemy, her book and work is of great comfort. She shares the same passions and genius, for the survival of the West, as another great European.

If I may quote his words at this moment for I believe she lived them and I pledge to do the same.

“I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat.” We have before us an ordeal of the most grievous kind. We have before us many, many long months of struggle and of suffering.

You ask, what is our policy? I can say: It is to wage war, by sea, land and air, with all our might and with all the strength that God can give us; to wage war against a monstrous tyranny, never surpassed in the dark, lamentable catalogue of human crime. That is our policy.

You ask, what is our aim? I can answer in one word: It is victory, victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory, however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival. Let that be realised; no survival for the British Empire, no survival for all that the British Empire has stood for, no survival for the urge and impulse of the ages, that mankind will move forward towards its goal. But I take up my task with buoyancy and hope. I feel sure that our cause will not be suffered to fail among men. At this time I feel entitled to claim the aid of all, and I say, “come then, let us go forward together with our united strength.”
    God bless to Robert and Hugh.
    God bless all who fight the Jihad. I am with you till my last days.

“”The secret of happiness is freedom, the secret of freedom is courage.”

Rest in peace, Oriana. You remain an inspiration to us all.

The light is a bit deeper today. The ties that bind us to reason and our glorious past are a bit weaker. May each of us resolve to emulate the courage of Fallaci in the dark years ahead.

“I have always looked on disobedience toward the oppressive as the only way to use the miracle of having been born.”

Indeed! Rebel, disobey and champion the right to liberty, freedom and rationality.

What a beautiful woman she was!

Ms. Fallacci’s memory WILL shine eternal, I have no doubt. Courage, conviction, and righteousness are traits that are never forgotten! And Orianni had them in spades!

Now, although I know Orianni experienced horrendous public attacks on her integrity in western Europe in her later years, I am not aware of much negative press about her in America (except in the occasional lefty publication, usually in a derogatory reference to her as a ‘racist’ or something akin to that). Leftist publications can be found virtually anywhere and their general negativity towards this lady is to be expected.

May Ms. Fallacci’s spirit help us through these tragic times (I am a believer in life after this life) as we struggle to defeat Islam’s global jihad with all its mass murder and mayhem.

And may her spirit help us find a way to deliver ourselves from Islam (the cult that is truly a fate worse than death).

Amen.

As far as I can make out, BBC news hasn’t even deigned to take note of her passing.
    Posted by: wallyUK on September 15, 2006 01:11 PM

Not quite true, the BBC has made a note of it. But it sure has gone out of its way to putting this newsworthy item in as obscure a position on its website as possible. You have to first go under the subheading of Europe in their news section and scroll under “other news” on that site. Here is their insipid writeup: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/5348486.stm

I didn’t read any comments. Not because I don’t care about the Woman, but because I don’t want to cry. She’ll be held in high esteem with the Lord.

Like everyone else here, my message – RIP, Orianna.

Maybe from up there, you’ll see the day that the cause you lived for – the defeat of Islam – will arrive. Combatting it the way we do here will be our eternal tribute to you, and all before you who went after fighting this noble fight.

I guess I said this before. To an Italian, it is highly significant that she was a Tuscan – countrywoman of Dante, Machiavelli, Bettino Ricasoli, Carlo Collodi, Indro Montanelli – self-reliant, brave as a steel sword and proud as the Devil. Tuscan pride is drier than Gascon and hotter than Scottish; it is fed by centuries of fighting against all corners and all comers. She and Indro Montanelli would probably have fought like cat and dog, all day long, never giving an inch – and have understood each other perfectly. Curiously enough, I share a birthday with her, and am fairly proud of this. The reason why she never married and never had children – although she knew, none better, what love was – must have been that she was not easy to get on with. Beautiful and feline though she was, she must at all times have been more claws than fur. But whatever she did in her life (in the sixties she was pretty much a supporter of the Vietcong, and that can only be called a gross mistake), she did it candidly, in good faith and for the most honest reasons. She died fighting, spiritually upright and defiant, snarling at all the evils she saw around her, from the contemptible and criminal political establishment of my and her country, to the enemies of our civilization and our values and the evil religion that forms them, to the cancer she regarded with a personal and holy hatred – the Alien, she called it. Not all of us can have her instinctive independence and pugnacity, and God forbid many of us had her Tuscan pride: the world would became uninhabitable. But if half of us live with her passion for truth and justice, the world will make a sudden leap forward.

I forgot. I think some heroic verses from a great countryman of hers would serve to celebrate her:

Considerate la vostra semenza;
    Fatti non foste a viver come bruti,
    Ma per seguir virtute e conoscenza.

“Remember of what seed you have been sown;
    You were not made to live as stupid brutes,
    But to pursue wisdom and seek virtue.”

She always did.

And on her grave, the five words that commemorate another fellow-Florentine, Machiavelli:

Tanto nomini nullum par elogium
    “To such a name, no praise is equal.”

Oriana – She walked the talk. She put her life on the line by saying what we only thought, and brought to light the enemy burrowing in the dark.
    We can carry her spark, and together with JW/DW, keep on spreading that light- relentlessly.

There is now one European less to believe in Western civilization.

I read the news item about Oriana Fallaci’s death and right beside it was a news item telling about a meeting of EU Foreign Ministers, who decided not to continue paying jizyah to the Palestinians for the time being, but were encouraged by the new Palestinian unity government with both Hamas and Fatah.

Guess which one made me want to puke?

Friends,

I wrote and recorded a tribute to Oriana. It wasn’t meant to be posthumous, so some of the lyrics inappropriately refer to her in the present tense.

But I thought I’d offer it up to all you good folks here at jihadwatch. It may be some small comfort in the passing of a remarkable lady.

My email address: oriana_tribute@yahoo. com

I’ll send it to anyone who’s interested.

Sigh… there always has to be a rat. I have been having a look at the various declarations by public figures. Guess what? All the politicians and other persons – even the Communists whom she detested – have said nothing but good. The journalists, and the journalists alone, disgraced themselves. Some journalists have been poisonous, and the secretary of the journalists’ trades union has been the only one who dared try to defend the criminal farce of multiculturalism and criticize her for attacking it. I guess that there are even in Italy people who hanker for the standards of the New Jerk Dimes, the Grannyad, L’Immonde and so on. And what surprises me is that, in spite of this creeping PC, most Italian newspapers still seem to be doing their job.

Again, where is that other fiery, opinionated, brilliant Italian[-American] Woman-of-Letters, Camille Paglia? Why does she — who always has had interesting and against-the-grain observations an analyses about almost everything under the Sun — continue to be so silent about Islam?

What is completely sickening is how this Jihadi group responded –

“Fallaci’s stance had stirred such strong sentiments that an Islamic group expressed ‘relief for the death of one of the greatest heralds of racial and religious hatred.’

‘It’s almost impossible to feel pity for somebody like Oriana Fallaci,’ Dacia Valent, a spokeswoman for the Islamic Anti-Defamation League, told the Apcom news agency.”

To me this is just like a spokesman for the KKK or the Black Panthers saying that buy disagreeing with white supremacy/black supremacy one necessarily is spewing “racial hatred” at whites/blacks. Islam is a system of IDEAS. Ideas can and must be analyzed and either accepted or rejected based on reason. The fact that those ideas are imbedded in the cultures of peoples does not mean that attacking certain ideas is a racial or hateful attack on peoples.

That is exactly why the organization name “Islamic Anti-Defamation League” is absurd. First of all, something is only defamation if it is untrue, and what Oriana Fallaci said was surely true, no matter how many Muslims it offended or how many multiculturalists it rattled. As has been noted on this site before, Muslims, who aren’t really oppressed in the West or even at all (as simply telling the truth about a hatefuly killing cult is not oppression), gain power among the liberal elite by appropriating the legitimate victimhood, current or historical, of other peoples.

Oriana Fallaci’s work against fascism – whether from 1940s Nazis and Fascists or 21st century Jihadists – will always be remembered and cherised by everyone here.

Everyone keeps saying “Rest in Peace”. To me as an Italo-American, Roman Catholic this is an insult for such a spirit as the Great Fallaci. I hope she marches right up to Urban II, Pius V, the great Byzantine emperors, Armenian martyrs, Lepanto sailors, Churchill, Aquinas and Maltese knights leading them to beseige God’s throne on behalf of Italy and the West. I know I keep my patron saints hopping and their plaster toes at Church are toasty from all those vigil candles I light. REST IN PEACE? Never! We need her more than ever and she will be with us. It helps to have friends in High Places to put in a word or too and whom better to pen those words than Fallaci? Evviva Fallaci.

Thank you, Robert for your thoughtful words. It must have been a priviledge to know this brilliant, strong woman who gave us the most important message of our time in the way only she could do. I am saddened because although I knew she was ill, I imagined she would be with us forever, always there to remind us of the danger we face, giving us strong words to remember and quote to those who would listen. She was truly a product of the civilization that many now take for granted, our civilization that values above all freedom of individual expression and equality of opportunity. May God bless her and keep her and may we all remember her and her words as we continue in this struggle that she so aptly described and warned us of.

May her work and her spirit continue
    to inspire many more like her,
    for we are all in great need for others like her.

Islam will not be stopped by a lone voice
    crying in the wilderness of Ignorance,
    but only by thousands who openly speak out againest it – and millions who openly support them.

And that’s how we can fill the place now left empty, how we can carry on
    and fulfill her quest for our freedom and salvation from the scourge of islam

And don’t let it all be up to others – if you’ve the gift of the word and the knowledge and wisdom that you’ll need, but above all the spirit to FIGHT,
    then take up the fight yourself,
    and be a radiant example for many others…
    just like Oriana was – and still is!

More and more people find within themselves
    the courage to stand up and fight,
    not with violence, terror and bloodshed
    – like Osama & co. – but with logic and reason,
    and above all the dark, unwanted Truth
    that so many seek to deny.

And I myself will join them – for I do not,
    I will not allow that the nightmare
    of Eurabia will come true, I will not
    allow my grandchildren, my children,
    or even myself to pay the jizya and endure
    the humiliations of dhimmitude.

I don’t know exactly how much I can do,
    or what effect I will have…
    but I will still set an example – even if
    it is just for showing that at least some have retained a will to fight.

For the time has come that we can no longer sit
    back and watch everything go by…

But I will do everything I can,
    that I promise you all.

As long as there are people left who fight back,
    Oriana’s work and life will not have been in vain.

Honour Oriana, and join in the struggle!

Oriana was one of the only true heroes left in Europe, She was blessed with beauty and inteligence, was willing to fight Eurabia and those who are bringing it about. Her good friend the Pope will now have to face the storm thats brewing without her help. May God bless you Oriana.

I have read nearly all of her books and will miss her giving the world more wisdom. May God watch over her, and her memory keep us focused on what we need to do.

Massive favourable words for her on the Italian media, even the leftist ones, which repeatedly insulted her. She’s being trated like the heroin she is, although hypocritically by some, and too late.

The lyrics of my tribute song…

ORIANA IS RIGHT

Wake up world it’s another day
    I found a little lady with something to say
    Oriana, fight!

She’s got a message you might want to hear
    Her words impressive, the meaning is clear
    Oriana is right!

She looks across the ocean
    to her homeland left behind
    Eurabia encroaches
    But her countrymen are blind
    Her countrymen are blind

She’s a bit like a mother hen
    There are things in life that are worth defend…ing
    Oriana, fight!

And everyone who believes in freedom
    it’s your fight too, you better believe it
    Oriana is right!

She looks across the ocean
    with a heavy-hearted sigh
    As dhimmitude approaches
    is freedom left to die
    Is freedom left to die?

Whatever time she has left on earth
    She’s making it count for all that its worth
    Oriana, fight!

And everyone who believes in freedom
    it’s your fight too, you better believe it
    Oriana is right!
    Oriana is right!
    Oriana is right.

It’s nothing special. But it means something to me. I wrote and recorded it 6 months ago…and if I wasn’t such a God-damned procrastinator, I might have had a chance to send it to her.

When I read her obituary this morning, I felt compelled to pull it out of my archives….I laid down a bass track conjured on a moment’s notice out of thin air (it shows), and then I mixed the song down and fired it off to Robert and a few other select folks.

Moral of the story: whether by song or letter or whatever, express your appreciation to those who have touched you…while you still have the chance.

I can’t help but note how ironic it is that Oriana Fallaci, a self-professed atheist, who nonetheless clearly grasped the threat of Islam and who appealed in her later years to the the Pope himself to DO SOMETHING!, just so happened to die on the same day that Pope Benedict’s comments about Islam (delivered before her death) happened to ignite such a firestorm around the world.

For that reason I will remember September 15, 2006. The death of Oriana Fallaci on the same day that Pope Benedict (to whom she had made a personal appeal) happened to come under serious fire in the international press for speaking frankly about Islam.

But of course both of them merely told the truth about Islam. And if the Pope needs inspiration for sticking to his guns today, I suggest he look to Oriana’s memory, a woman who saw what was coming and who appealed to him personally before her death.

The world is desperately in need of people willing to tell the truth about Islam, as Oriana Fallaci clearly understood. God forbid the world we’re facing if the head of the Catholic Church can be intimidated into concealing the truth about something as simple and as indisputable as the centrality of jihad in Islam.

September 15, 2006: Oriana Fallaci dies and on the same day Pope Benedict fires a shot about Islam heard round the world. A most interesting day in history for those of us fortunate enough to witness it.

MOURNER’S KADDISH
    An English Translation

Glorified and sanctified be God’s great name throughout the world which He has created according to His will. May He establish His kingdom in your lifetime and during your days, and within the life of the entire House of Israel, speedily and soon; and say, Amen.

May His great name be blessed forever and to all eternity.

Blessed and praised, glorified and exalted, extolled and honored, adored and lauded be the name of the Holy One, blessed be He, beyond all the blessings and hymns, praises and consolations that are ever spoken in the world; and say, Amen.

May there be abundant peace from heaven, and life, for us
    and for all Israel; and say, Amen.

He who creates peace in His celestial heights, may He create peace for us and for all Israel; and say, Amen.

Thank you, farewell and fly Heavenward, O valiant Soul of Courage and dearest Heart of Hope!

In the final chapter of The Force of Reason, Oriana calls us to hope and to renewed faith by bearing courageous witness in words that reflect, even if unknowingly, a Christian typology. She says there:

“I think: we cannot lose. We cannot lose because Islam is a pond. And a pond is a cavity full of stagnant water. Water that never moves, never runs, never purifies itself, never becomes clean. The pond does not love Life…The West, instead, is a river. And rivers are courses of living water. Water that runs, that flows, and in flowing it purifies itself (and) renews itself.”

We who are “the West” must renew our faith and our life by recognizing our source, that originating “River of Life” from which our original riches and blessings have flowed and without which such blessings never would have — or could have — come into Being.

May we not fail Oriana in this!

Grateful to God for this incredible warrior woman, who fullfilling her purpose with such passion has affected so many. Love and peace and comfort to her family and to you Robert, her friend. Ditto’s to so many of the previous comments, yes, let us each take up her mantle and carry high the banner of freedom, resisting evil and never surrendering to it. Ever. Rest in peace dear Oriana, thank you for your books, your courage to speak out, your wonderful intellect and being true to yourself. The world is a sadder place with your passing. I shall miss you!

I am sad at this wonderful woman’s passing. I didn’t know anything about Oriana until I heard about one of her books a couple of years ago. I thought to myself, “wow, this is a courageous woman”. I wish there were more brave souls like her. Thank you for all that you’ve done and rest in peace, Oriana.
    Tony, from Canada

I had meant to pick up and read her books for some time time now, but had not gotten around to it. Yesterday I went out and purchased “The Rage and the Pride”. (I wanted to read this book first because she wrote it first).

Her passing also made me reflect on my own behaviour. I’ve done a fair amount to educate myself about the growing Islamic threat, but very little else of substance. I have not stood up, publically, using my own name. I didn’t follow up after the Danish Cartoon violence–there was a tiny pro-free speech demonstration outside the San Francisco Danish Consolate, but I didn’t hear about it until after the fact. I bought (and continue to buy) Danish cookies and cheese, but this is hardly an act of bravery.

Not only is there the global Jihad, but nasty things that have happened locally. Although the Bay Area is hardly the hotbed of Jihadism that many places have become, just recently we have had the San Francisco SUV attacks (“sudden Jihad syndrome”), attacks and burnings of liquor stores by radical Black Muslims (including the abduction of one store owner), and pro-Jihadi hate speech in Mosques and at my alma mater, UC Berkeley.

I have not spoken up, except to a small circle of family and friends. I want to take Fallacci as a model. I may not have agreed with her stance on everything (such as support for the Vietcong) but I believe her concerns about radical Islam are well founded, and I greatly respect her fearlessness in speaking truth to anyone ready to listen. I hope I can in some small way do the same.

Frolic in the splended pastures of Vahalla Oriana. My your spirit be a peace and happiness always with you. For you are still much loved by free spirits here on Mother Earth.

From your celestial perspective look down and see the Great Mohammad taking it out the ass from the Arch Angel Lucifer.

Smile your sweet smile Oriana. Eternity is bless and so are you dear free spirit.

—-Nossy

There are victims of the Holocaust who to this very day will deny that there were some good people in this world who stood with them in those six years when they had to endure the savagery and barbarism of the Nazis.

I used to hear my father say that often and have never been able to entirely convince him otherwise although he has softened his stance in his later years.

There are two reasons for this.

The first was a scene from an American documentary entitled “The Last Klezmer” in which a Jewish musician who remained in Poland after the war was shown returning to his native town after spending most of his adult life in Warsaw. The scene in question was one of the local gentile women weeping at a memorial to the Jews who had lived among them and who had perished at the hands of the Germans.

The second was an article I read with him that was written by Oriana Fallaci, a brilliant journalist who joined Italy’s anti-fascist resistance as a teenager during World War Two, was a fearless war correspondent, covered wars in Vietnam, the Middle East, and Latin America, was shot and beaten in 1968 during student demonstrations in Mexico, interviewed world leaders and terrorists and, later in life took a strong and brave stand against Islamic terrorism.

Oriana Fallaci died yesterday, aged 77.

She wrote the article entitled I STAND WITH ISRAEL: I STAND WITH THE JEWS in late 2002 and it originally appeared in the Italian daily newspaper, Corriere della Sera.

I read the article at my father’s house. During the reading, it felt as if every word was rising up and speaking for itself with a special kind of passion. When joined together the words told us that there really were men and women of goodwill on the face of this earth who were not prepared to abandon our people; not then and not now.

Oriana Fallaci stood with us. She is no longer on this earth but will be remembered by my people forever.

May she rest in peace.

“I find it shameful that in Italy there should be a procession of individuals dressed as suicide bombers who spew vile abuse at Israel, hold up photographs of Israeli leaders on whose foreheads they have drawn the swastika, incite people to hate the Jews. And who, in order to see Jews once again in the extermination camps, in the gas chambers, in the ovens of Dachau and Mauthausen and Buchenwald and Bergen-Belsen et cetera, would sell their own mother to a harem.” – Oriana Fallaci.

Posted by: Caroline [TypeKey Profile Page] at September 15, 2006 09:35 PM

Caroline you are so right about remembering that date. how things can line up, is not just a stroke of luck, but there was a reason for it to happen that way. l hope to read more of her books and pass it along to my family especially my nieces and nephrews so the next generation can be armed with knowledge. Oriana Fallaci lives on in all our memories.

Oriana, you did so much to better this world. I’d only known you for a couple of years, but you greatly affected me. I am going to miss you (as the rest of us will)!

What a loss!!!
    I shall continue to do what I have been doing for the last 2 years after reading one of her articles: to make her work to be known to all my relatives and friends, buy her books and every 29.06 to celebrate her birthday.
    I shall also do something which has not been done in my family for more then 400 years:
    I’ll use a name outside the family tradition, my next grand daughter will be named Oriana.
    That name will be carried on for generations to come and will give Oriana a grain of immortality.

In memoriam to that fire-brand, Orianna Fallaci, who stood up for and celebrated the great beauty of our accomplishments in 2000 years of Western Civilization and mourned it’s despoilment by the dark, and barbaric Islamic hordes – I offer Don McLean’s immortal lyrics about the life and vision of the great painter Vincent Van Gogh:

“Starry, starry night.
    Paint your palette blue and grey,
    Look out on a summer’s day,
    With eyes that know the darkness in my soul.
    Shadows on the hills,
    Sketch the trees and the daffodils,
    Catch the breeze and the winter chills,
    In colors on the snowy linen land.

Now I understand what you tried to say to me,
    How you suffered for your sanity,
    How you tried to set them free.
    They would not listen, they did not know how.
    Perhaps they’ll listen now……….”

God bless her and may she rest in eternal peace!