Spencer: Playing the Death Threat Card

In FrontPage today, I discuss a premier stealth jihad weapon: the death threat card.

Charles C. Haynes, a senior scholar at the First Amendment Center in Washington, lamented Thursday that “at a charter school in Minnesota, what should have been a “˜call the lawyers” dispute over religion in the classroom has escalated into a “˜call the FBI” imbroglio involving death threats against school officials.”

Haynes was referring to the Tarek ibn Ziyad Academy, a public charter school in Minneapolis. The Council on American Islamic Relations (CAIR) last month asked the FBI to investigate death threats they said had been made against the school’s director, and they said that the students might be endangered.

Whose fault was this? Mine, evidently: Haynes says that “a longtime critic of Islam, Robert Spencer, suggested that TIZA might be part of a “˜grand jihad” bent on undermining Western civilization. Not surprisingly, TIZA now receives what the school’s director describes as “˜numerous death threats, harassing e-mails, harassing phone calls.–

Serious charges indeed. But let’s set the record straight: did I call for the death of anyone at Tarek ibn Ziyad Academy, or ask anyone to threaten them? No, I did not. Did I send anyone at Tarek ibn Ziyad Academy any harassing e-mails, or call anyone there, or ask anyone to contact anyone there in any way? No, I did not.

What I did do was point out in a recent article that the Tarek ibn Ziyad Academy is housed in the same building as a mosque and the Minnesota chapter of the Muslim American Society (MAS), and I quoted journalist Katherine Kersten’s observation that “at MAS-MN”s 2007 convention, for example, the program featured an advertisement for the “˜Muslim American Society of Minnesota,” superimposed on a picture of a mosque. Under the motto “˜Establishing Islam in Minnesota,” it asked: “˜Did you know that MAS-MN … houses a full-time elementary school”? On the adjacent page was an application for TIZA” — the Tarek ibn Ziyad Academy.

I also noted that according to a 2004 Chicago Tribune exposé, the Muslim American Society is the name under which the Muslim Brotherhood operates in the United States. And that according to a 1991 Brotherhood memorandum about its strategy in the U.S., it is embarked upon a “grand Jihad” aimed at “eliminating and destroying the Western civilization from within and “˜sabotaging” its miserable house by their hands and the hands of the believers so that it is eliminated and Allah’s religion is made victorious over all other religions.”

So the “grand jihad” phrase came not from me, but from the Brotherhood memorandum. Is the Tarek ibn Ziyad Academy part of this stealthy “grand jihad”? Well, even Charles C. Haynes might admit that if such an effort of subversion and sabotage exists, and is being pursued by the Muslim American Society, that it would be a neat trick to establish an Islamic school on the infidel dime, paid for by infidel taxpayers. It would be a small but significant contribution to the effort, if it were happening. In fact, the question as to whether or not it were happening would be an important question to investigate. Even he admits that “class is interrupted so that students can fulfill prayer obligations and that Friday assemblies are indeed prayer services; although the school says that all prayers are voluntary and Friday prayers are led by parent volunteers.” This would be a reasonable basis for, to use Haynes”s own phrase, a –˜call the lawyers” dispute over religion in the classroom.”

But that polite dispute, says Haynes, has been derailed by these alleged death threats that were supposedly prompted by my asking uncomfortable questions in a column about what is going on at the school, and who is behind it. And of course, maybe the school really did receive death threats. If so, these threats are abhorrent and deplorable, as evil as they are idiotic, as well as contemptible. If someone really did threaten anyone at the Tarek ibn Ziyad Academy, he should be found and punished.

However, school officials may also want to slip the threatener a thank-you note as the FBI hauls him away, for if there really were threats here, they work to the advantage of the MAS and CAIR. CAIR has played this game skillfully for years: trumping up and exaggerating hate crimes, deflecting attention away from anything Muslims are doing that might cause non-Muslims concern, and doing everything possible to portray Muslims as victims who need a special protected status. For as Haynes”s article shows, just when the school began to face public scrutiny about its use of public funds and its ties to the MAS, the story has now shifted to how terrible it is that Muslims face threats and “Islamophobia.”

It’s interesting also to note how eager the media is to accommodate CAIR in this. CAIR”s claim that the school has received threats has been written up in the Star-Tribune, the local Fox news channel, and elsewhere. And apparently the FBI is right on the case. Compare and contrast: Daniel Pipes, Steve Emerson, Michael Scheuer and I received a veiled but unmistakable threat from the first American to be charged with treason since World War II, on a videotape introduced by Al-Qaeda’s number two man, Ayman Al-Zawahiri, and — speaking strictly for myself — I never heard a word from the FBI or anyone else, and there was no media coverage at all. I”ve
received many other death threats, and never received the interest from either law enforcement or the media that the Tarek ibn Ziyad Academy is receiving now. Now, I am not saying that anyone should have cared when I was threatened, or that anyone should not care about the alleged threat against this school. But what I do find intriguing is the choice made about which threats to investigate and which are deemed newsworthy, and I think it would be most interesting to discover the assumptions on which such choices are made, and the energy with which the recipients of such threats use them to make political hay.

Meanwhile, Haynes”s implication that I have something to do with the threats is despicable, if not downright libelous, and militates against his claim to be interested in a genuine discussion of what is going on at Tarek ibn Ziyad Academy. If he really wants to have a debate about religion in the classroom, and an honest examination of the Academy”s practices and ties, I”m ready. But I don’t think he does.

Comments

Keep this effront to the essential nature of our nation, this Islamist beachhead/charter school (this unconstitutional Establishment of Religion) under scrutiny, and continue to agitate for revocation of its public funding. END EXTRACTION OF JIZYA NOW.

Moslems love to send out death threats to their critics, and they love it even better if these threats are carried out. So they shouldn’t be surprised if they receive some themselves. Tit for tat.

CAIR goes on the offensive ANYTIME they think that the “religion of peace” has been blasphemed. It’s in their agenda. Their rebuttals do 3 things. Place blame elsewhere, make Muslims look like the victims, and call for action (normally legal) against the non-believers. CAIR should be banned from operating in the U.S.

This country has changed so radically since the 1960’s it is hard to explain to people who are too young to remember.
    There was an intentional change in the fabric of the US. I would love to learn of the true purpose of this change…
    I read an article many years back that told of the intent of the “Ford Foundation” and other such elitist organizations to make sure that no person in the world made more money than the peasants of China. Equality for all. Just a very poor equality.(Except for the very elite top echelon, who would be fabulously wealthy)
    Well folks, check out China these days, the plan seems to be right on schedule.
    I would like to pick the brains of those who are doing this manipulation, the installing of immigrants into America….also failing to defend the interests of the US.

Musings on the process of Reverse Assimilation:

1) get caught breaking laws
    2) deflect attention by generating new issue (e.g. “we’ve gotten a death threat”)
    3) claim victim status due to new issue
    4) shift focus to agenda item by claiming victimization is due to bigotry, bias, inequity, hypocrisy, etc.
    5) procure local accomodation of agenda item through fear of additional bigotry charges (a natural aversion in communities whose members’ self-image is based on their perception by others, especially outsiders, as “good”)
    6) inculcate accommodation into a theoretical “right” through propaganda, especially propaganda designed to aggravate latent forms of prosperity guilt
    7) minimize original indiscretion through spin, external advocacy, and projection of host country cultural ignorance
    8) identify and trumpet examples of historically entrenched host tu quoque to further paralyze enforcement and increase claims of victimization
    9) strategically file lawsuits to create effective “right”, lock in status quo and stifle information flow on original indiscretion
    10) lobby, payoff, or blackmail politicians to convert agenda item to legal right

Rinse and repeat.

In all honesty Robert. You are guilty of linking the story in the Minnesota Star Tribune.

That surely is perceived as a hateful and anti-Islamic move.

I had an e-mail exchange with Haynes in January 2007 in which he argued that CAIR did not advocate an Islamic state and he admitted to me that he had worked with CAIR for years, that he was familiar with their positions and that I was wrong about their motives. He’s not a credible writer in my opinion. He’s either a closet Islamist or dumb as dirt.

So are we going to ignore the issue of separation of church and state here, that the ACLU pushes on the public schools against Christianity at every turn?

Are there greater threats to America’s sovereignty, and political institutions coming from Christians in America, then Islamic religious teachings?

Cannot our government intitutions realize that they are being lead around by a symbolic ring in their noses because of an ongoing display of their ignorance that is so easily seen for those of us who are paying attention?

And there we stand being drawn into letting these violations of the use of public school tax payer funds for religous purposes being ignored in favor of pursuing a easily fabricated victim status for Muslims.

Yes let’s deny the term jihad, let’s deny a separation of church and state.

Heck why don’t we just deny the existence of our Constitution and let’s just start working to impose sharia now and get it over with. Afterall we certainly don’t want to offend a certain religion that is really about 80Pct. political.

The Reverand Jeremiah Wright would have been a bit more correct had he said ” goddam multiculturalism in America! the chickens have come back to roost and they are a bunch goddam dhimmis’ running America!!

Well, I bet it does not as well. CAIR is an tax exempt public benefit organization, 501-3-c most likely. This means that it must build a set of by laws and file articles of corporation in which a mission statement is included. I would bet that the by laws, articles of incorporation, mission statement, and charter, if they have one, says nothing about establishing an Islamic state.
    He is pointing out the legalistic obvious. This does not mean however that those working within the
    framework of CAIR don’t, or won’t advocate an Islamic state. After all Islam is here to dominate.
    How many times have we heard that kind of stuff from Hooper an company. CAIR is a tool, it does not think, but the people who use the tool do. And ‘they’ want an Islamic Caliphate. The Quran and the traditions of Mohammad supercede CAIR. CAIR does not advocate an Islamic state, but Islam does…

The usual grievance theater and projection.

Accuse the accuser of doing what they’re doing. And they are masters in the art of deception, which comes with the doctrine of the ‘religion’ I suppose…

It would not surprise me one bit if at least some of the threats are the work of the “victims” themselves. They love playing the role of a poor oppressed minority until they feel strong enough to start giving orders. When confronted, they disappear like a cuttlefish in a cloud of its own ink.

Want to do something to help stop the worldwide jihad and the spread of Islamic law?

Jihad Watch is a 501(c)(3) organization, so I guess cannot directly organize political action. But you can help stop jihad and sharia if you join or contribute to American Congress for Truth, here:

Robert Spencer is on ACT’s board of advisors.

By the way, if you pre-order Spencer’s new book, you get 5% off. You can pre-order here:
    Stealth Jihad
    . I’ve pre-ordered three, for myself, my parents, and my brother.

I have no connection with Robert Spencer or his book. So why do I post this? Because I want to help stop Sharia creep into the West and the trend toward a demographic takeover of Europe by Islam.

If they have voice death threats, the school should release the recordings. As for all the other supposed threats, they could easily be manufactured.

I am not naive about some idiots who make death threats against Muslims, however we must also not be naive enough to think that radical Muslims would not manufacture such claims.

I have also confronted Haynes who writes First Amendment articles in our home newspaper. He was critical of Islamofascist Week and has continuous articles presenting Americans as Muslim haters. The mere fact that Ziyad was a Muslim invader of Spain and eventually his ilk took over Portugal and spent his life spreading Islam makes me particularly suspect of an American educational institution named after him. Perhaps I can take offense as so many Muslim’s do that this general was an invader of my ancestral land until King Alphonse and Crusaders from France, England and Belgium help free Portugal from the invaders.

I’ll bet dollars to donuts that Haynes organisation is funded by Saudi money.