Yet another claim of victim status that turned out to be just the opposite. The fake hate crimes are, of course, a tactic for which the motivation is clear, and this incident is closely akin to those. “Claim of ‘Islamic veil bus ban’ thrown out,” by Ross Lydall in the Evening Standard, July 28 (thanks to Block Ness):
A bus driver accused by two students of banning them because of their Islamic dress has been cleared after CCTV showed he had actually barred them for their abusive behaviour.
An investigation by Metroline – which operates the No7 bus – found the driver, who could have faced the sack over the allegation, was justified in not allowing the women on his vehicle.
The 22-year-olds, Yasmin and Atoofa, from Slough, told the BBC that they had been refused access to the bus at Russell Square because of their dress. Yasmin was wearing a hijab and her face was uncovered while Atoofa was wearing a niqab, which covers the face.
But the Standard has learned that the students, who asked for their full names not to be revealed, were denied entry “due to abusive behaviour towards bus driver and other passengers”.
On-board CCTV of the incident, on Monday last week, showed the women banging on the front doors and attempting to board the bus when it had come to the end of its run. They then get on through the rear doors and begin arguing with the driver. They get off and wait for the bus to start its journey back to Paddington – but another exchange follows, and the driver refuses to set off unless they disembark.
Metroline said: “We have now reviewed the CCTV and interviewed the bus driver. The circumstances of this incident are not as represented by the bus passengers.”
What a shock!