Los Angeles Times calls for restrictions on freedom of speech of counter-jihadists

Before reading Nathan Lean’s call for the restriction of the freedom of speech of critics of jihad and Islamic supremacism in the Los Angeles Times, it is illuminating to bear a few things in mind.

First: Nathan Lean, the editor-in-chief of Aslan Media, is a thug who has sent me numerous veiled threats. For security reasons, I maintain several offices and mailboxes in different parts of the country, and don’t actually live near any of them or check the mail in them myself. Nathan Lean got hold of one of the addresses, and several months ago tweeted me, in a complete non-sequitur, the name of the state it is in. A week later, he sent me another tweet including the name of the city where one of these mailboxes is located. Four months after that, he sent me an email calling me a “dumb fuck” and adding “But, having a look at this, I kind of pity you,” which was followed by a link containing a photo of a woman in the same city. The woman has the same surname as mine; apparently Lean thought she was my wife.

Now, the purpose of these tweets and emails is unmistakable: Nathan Lean was signaling to me that he thought he knew my whereabouts (and that of my family), despite my attempts to conceal them. And why would he want me to think that he knew where I was? So that I would be frightened into silence, afraid that one of his many violence-inclined allies might do me in if I continued to speak out for freedom and human rights. I therefore duly forwarded all these communications to the FBI, and they’ve informed me that they’re keeping on eye on Nathan Lean.

Yet this gutter thug still remains in the employ of Islamic supremacist hate propagandist Reza Aslan, and is published in the Los Angeles Times, which tells you a great deal about Reza Aslan and the Los Angeles Times.

Second, by publishing this thug’s screed calling for restriction of the freedom of speech, the Los Angeles Times is cutting its own throat. For my opinions are certainly politically incorrect today, but if Lean succeeds in getting them criminalized, his patrons at the LA Times might find one day that they, too, hold an opinion unacceptable to those in power, but the precedent to silence them will already have been set, with their willing help.

“Anders Behring Breivik: Norway’s sane killer,” by Nathan Lean in the Los Angeles Times, August 26 (thanks to all who sent this in):

…The Islamophobia that led Breivik to his ruinous binge, for example, came from his digestion of the writings of several anti-Muslim activists, including bloggers Robert Spencer and Pamela Geller, who head the group Stop the Islamization of America. Breivik mentioned them in his 1,500-page manifesto, posted online.

Nathan Lean must get up every morning and thank Allah for Anders Behring Breivik; after all, where would he be without him? In any case, as long as Lean keeps repeating his libel, I will keep telling the truth: while he’d like you to believe that Breivik’s “manifesto” is just Geller and me through and through, actually Breivik cited many, many people, including Barack Obama, John F. Kennedy, and Thomas Jefferson — who are just three of the many who are never blamed for his murders. Also swept under the rug is the fact that whether he is sane or not, Breivik’s manifesto is actually quite ideologically incoherent — so far was he from being a doctrinaire counter-jihadist that he wanted to aid Hamas and ally with jihad groups. I am no more responsible for Breivik than the Beatles are for Charles Manson.

Indeed, the whole attempt to smear Pamela Geller and me with Breivik’s murders rests on several leaps of illogic and unstated assumptions. Even if Breivik’s views really were exactly the same as ours, as Lean wants you to think, would the Los Angeles Times or Nathan Lean (well, maybe he would) really stand behind the idea that if someone commits violence in the name of an idea, that idea is thereby discredited and must be driven out of the public discourse? In that case, precious few ideas would be left, since people at one time or another have committed violence in the name of virtually every cause under the sun.

In any case, if ideas that were deemed to lead to violence really were silenced, the proponents of a supposedly peaceful Islam that Nathan Lean is so anxious to protect and defend would be silenced as well. After all, Lean admits below that Geller and I denounced Breivik’s violence. But that is not enough for him: the whole thrust of his piece here is the claim that what we say and do inspires other people to do violence. Now, that is not in the slightest degree true of what Pamela Geller and I say and do, but it is certainly true of the many, many imams worldwide who openly teach that Muslims should wage war against unbelievers, and also true of those who don’t teach violence openly, but do teach hatred and contempt of those outside the accepted circle (which, incidentally, Nathan Lean teaches as well). And if we denounce violence but must nevertheless be silenced, then so also must peaceful Muslims such as Nathan Lean’s boss Reza Aslan, who supposedly denounces Islamic violence but has written favorably many times about the violent jihad terror groups Hamas and Hizballah.

The pair has agitated some of the country’s nastiest displays of prejudice. Their bus advertisements equating the Palestinian cause with jihad created a stir in New York and San Francisco, and they fanned the flames of the uproar over the Park51 Islamic Community Center in 2010.

This one made me laugh: Pamela Geller and I are “equating the Palestinian cause with jihad”! No one ever thought to do it before we did! Apparently Nathan Lean hopes his hapless Times readers know nothing about Ahlam Tamimi, who praised Allah for the murders of Israelis in a pizza parlor (murders in which she participated), or about the fact that the Muslim Brotherhood has called for jihad to liberate “Palestine,“; or about Jordanian Muslim cleric Riyadh al-Bustanji, who said recently: “I have brought my daughter to Gaza, so that she can learn from the women of Gaza how to bring up her children on Jihad, martyrdom-seeking, and the love of Palestine,” or thousands of other Muslims worldwide who have called the Israel/”Palestinian” conflict a jihad. No! It is all just a nasty display of prejudice by Geller and Spencer!

Damningly, they see their mission as Breivik saw his: They call themselves “freedom fighters” on a valorous journey to save the world from Muslims.

Like his boss Reza Aslan, Nathan Lean can’t even be honest or decent enough to characterize his foes’ views accurately. In reality, we are not trying to “save the world from Muslims,” but from a radically repressive, supremacist political ideology that denies the freedom of speech, the freedom of conscience, and the equality of rights of all people before the law. If Muslims sincerely renounce these aspects of Islamic law and work against their spread, they are welcome to join us, as I have said repeatedly throughout my public work.

But when it was publicized that the Norway killer mentioned Spencer and Geller in his writings, they cried foul. “Clearly this individual is insane,” Spencer wrote on his blog. After Breivik’s initial psychological evaluation Geller expressed relief, writing, that Breivik was “declared certifiably insane, which was evident by his actions and his ten-years-in-the-making manifesto.”

The magnitude of Breivik’s butchery was apparently sufficient evidence of his psychosis. No normal person, in Geller and Spencer’s view, would ever do such a thing. But only if that person is not a Muslim. When Muslims engage in violence, they are represented by Islamophobes as ordinary believers acting in a way that aligns with tenets of their faith, not fringe lunatics whose delusional religious interpretations lead them to a monstrous end. Though Spencer and Geller denounced Breivik’s violence, they never rejected his anti-Muslim ideas. And that is a problem.

Here again, Lean ignores the extremely inconvenient fact that when Muslims engage in violence, they repeatedly justify that violence by reference to mainstream Muslim understandings of Islamic texts and teachings, and peaceful Muslims have not mounted any large-scale movement to oppose them or interpret those texts and teachings in a different way. He pretends instead that it is we who have equated Islam with violence. A few thousand imams preaching from the Qur’an and Sunnah would beg to differ.

The Norwegian court’s verdict, which means that Breivik will spend at least 21 years behind bars (and probably much more), underscores the need for society to address those who promote hatred and jabber about the evils of multiculturalism and the looming clash of civilizations. It proves that amplified racism, which carves society into fragments and pits them against one another, has real consequences and reaches the minds of rational thinkers who absorb such narratives and take them to their logical conclusions.

Here we come to the heart of Lean’s argument: he wants “society” to take action against those who stand for freedom and human rights against jihad, Sharia and Islamic supremacism, for we “must be stopped.” This is a veiled but clear call for restrictions on our freedom of speech — as clear as his threats against me. Lean, like the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC), wants speech critical of Islam to be criminalized. And the Los Angeles Times, to its everlasting discredit, publishes this.

That fact is the worst part of Lean’s article: that he is given ready entree to mainstream media outlets to publish his hateful libels and calls for the restriction of our Constitutional rights, but we are not allowed any space for rebuttal of his false charges. When the Breivik libel first began appearing, Pamela Geller and I submitted a rebuttal op-ed to the chief places that had smeared us: the New York Times, the Washington Post, and the rest. None even had the courtesy to answer. But this enabler of Islamic supremacist oppression and hatred has easy access to the largest forums for influencing public opinion.

Nonetheless, because he stands for nothing but lies and hatred, Nathan Lean’s cynical attempt to monetize the hysteria about “Islamophobia” is doomed to fail. If, however, he somehow does succeed in silencing those who are defending the freedom of speech and other basic human rights, his children and his children’s children, having endured the devastation that his Islamic supremacist masters have wrought upon the West, will rise up and curse his name.

I’d rather fail in defending freedom than succeed with a legacy like that.

Pamela Geller: The Huffington Post Whitewashes Sharia
Telegraph's Damian Thompson blames West for Muslim persecution of Middle Eastern Christians

Comments

“I therefore duly forwarded all these communications to the FBI, and they’ve informed me that they’re keeping on eye on Nathan Lean”—

Excellent, that’s how you deal with wannabe Breiviks like Nathan Lean.

You say, “If, however, he somehow does succeed in silencing those who are defending the freedom of speech and other basic human rights, his children and his children’s children, having endured the devastation that his Islamic supremacist masters have wrought upon the West, will rise up and curse his name.”
    In saying this you assume that one of the 3 billion or so women on planet earth would actually get within a few feet of his smarmy oozing person. I find that hard to believe. Really there is only one way he could become a father, and I imagine that most women would prefer to put “Father: turkey baster” on their child’s birth certificate than to blacken such a document with Nathan Lean’s name.

The LA Times is following in the footsteps of the New York Dhimmi News, and the Greenwich Post.

Smear, smear, smear – but never permit those are who are being smeared any space to respond to the slander and libel.

That simply won’t do – it might upset the delicate sensitivities of the masses.

This is what passes for ” journalism “, in twenty first century America.

Herr Goebbels would be proud…

@Paul Hoffman

Err…. the LA Times joined the goebbelian club long time ago, the club includes the likes of the NYT, Huffington Post, The Guardian, Publico.es, Aftonbladet, Washington Post, Mother Jones, NY Daily News, Daily Beast, Daily KOS, TPM, MSNBC, Haaretz, The Atlantic, the pseudo-Christian pseudo-Science monitor… etc.

“If all printers were determined not to print anything till they were sure it would offend nobody, there would be very little printed.”

Ben Franklin

Seems the lamestream media has forgotten this caveat as well…

“Whoever would overthrow the liberty of a nation must begin by subduing the freedom of speech.”

Benjamin Franklin

Maybe the media just wants us to ignorant.

“If a nation expects to be both ignorant and free, it
    expects what never was and never will be.”

Thomas Jefferson

“his children and his children’s children, having endured the devastation that his Islamic supremacist masters have wrought upon the West, will rise up and curse his name.”

They won’t be the only ones.

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is.
    Winston Churchill

I’m exceedingly sorry that Robert Spencer (Pamela Geller too) has to endure the non-stop threats and vile comments thrown his way for doing nothing more than telling the truth (N.B., no one ever definitively, with logic, reason and facts, refutes Spencer—this is damning in the extreme of the many Spencer critics out there). And I’m also exceedingly sorry that there are so many people in this country, including Nathan Lean, Reza Aslan (and I suspect here as well the current occupant of the Oval Office) who have such little understanding and appreciation of the First Amendment.

At least this is a tacit acknowledgement (probably unintentional) that “jihad” means warfare in an Islamic context and that it is an intrinsic element of Islam. Remember the days when Leftists (including 100% of the media) tried to put forth the lame front that “jihad” in Arabic simply meant “struggle” in the most generic sense, and that therefore
    the “terrorists,” “extremists,” “radicals,” etc., were misusing the term and that it actually had nothing to do with Islam? I notice that not even die-hard Leftists like Lean or reporters from the MSM try much to foist that one on us anymore.

(Ah, failed Leftist Islam-apologist talking points from days of yore… We should start a museum!)

Funny though, they never take the next step in their thinking. To wit: Hmm, if “jihad’ means warfare against non-Muslims, and jihad is an element of Islam, and warfare isn’t peaceful, then that means that Islam is not a religion of peace, and that means that EVERY POLITICIAN AND MEDIA PERSON AND UNIVERSITY PROFESSOR IS LYING TO US ABOUT THIS! How bout that! Sounds like a good story to me! Sounds like news media outlets could make A LOT OF MONEY and BOOST THEIR TANKING RATINGS if they “broke” that story, eh? (hint, hint). CNN? Washington Post? LA Times? Anyone? Hello? Is this thing on?

Pure projection.

From the article: “Trying to wish away intolerance and bigotry may be convenient but it is costly. During Breivik’s trial, a right-wing extremist testified that he knew of nearly 100 other people who share the killer’s views and supported his massacre….

The discourse of hate must be stopped before it affects other extremists quietly waiting for an opportunity to be lauded as heroes.”

Here’s a hypothetical: suppose Mohammed Merah had been captured alive, though wounded. Suppose he were standing trial.

One might read, from the likes of Geert Wilders, commenting upon it, something like this:

“Trying to wish away intolerance and bigotry may be convenient, but it is costly. During Merah’s trial an ex-Muslim who had gone undercover at Mosques all over Europe testified that he knew of hundreds and possibly thousands of people who share the killer’s views and celebrated his killings…”

or this

“The preaching of Jew-hatred and hatred and contempt for the kuffar in the mosques must be exposed and denounced before it affects other young Muslim men eagerly looking for an opportunity to be lauded as ‘heroes’ and ‘shaheeds'”.

Only an idiot would want American troops sent home, and the sales of planes and tanks to Arabs ended. It would result in 100 thousand unemployed veterans and another 10 million heavy weapon workers to become pan handlers and bums. The idea is disastrous. Peaceniks must mind their own business, enjoy their weed, and thank God for creating Middle-Eastern enemies.

OT, but I’m requesting some help at:

I’m researching a topic on how certain information about Jesus and the Gospels impacted people. I won’t give names.

Thanks.

As for the present topic, this is a worrying trend. However, I suspect it may actually be less concern for the good names of Muslim neighbors than a ploy to try to get government bailouts for leading print media, which have fallen on very hard times. Hence, it’s a kind of Faustian bargain.

Robert,

I will always salute you as one of the brave voices trying to stem the worldwide mind pollution known as islam.

You are in the same class as Geert Wilders, who, as we both know, has to strap on a flack vest just to go to the local supermarket.

My credentials are much less impressive. My career has been one of a Federal DoD Contracts Negotiator (US Navy), and then some private sector contracts administrator work with DoD contractors.

I was born in Mineola, L.I., New York, worshipped at the alter of the New York Yankees, and got to see the greatest baseball player who ever lived, (my Dad got us box seats, right behind home plate in the old Yankee Stadium, for game #3 of the 1964 World Series), have what he described as one of his ten greatest career moments:

Back then, NYC didn’t have the mayor they have today, Michael Bloomberg, who never saw a mosque he didn’t like.

Let me tell you, it burns my ass what islam has done to the great city of New York, and the Pentagon, on 911, and all over the world, ever since rat bastard mohammad crawled out from under his rock, circa 1450 A.D.

Sadly, I live in southern California, (came out for the climate in 1983, still Ronald Reagan country) and I am still struggling with the idea that the state is now headed up by Jerry Brown, aka “Governor Moonbeam”, and two female democrat senators who don’t know their ass from a hole in the ground. Between the two, Boxer is much worse than Feinstein, but they are both a “Pick Your Poison” choice.

So, what the LA Times has done surprises me not in the least.

A little irony here:

1) barry husein … our first muslim POTUS, who sits in the White House, although he fails the “natural born citizen” requirement.

2) Jonn F. Kennedy, our last honorable democrat president. I worked at his presidential library.

3) Thomas Jefferson, who kept a copy of the koran in the White House so he could better understand the “Pirates of Tripoli”, who were just the seafaring islamic bastards of his time. They were killing our U.S. Marines. That is how “… the shores of Tripoli …” gets into the U.S. Marine anthem. Jefferson was just following the principle, “Know Thine Enemy”.

I’m gratified to notice that a lot of the comments on Lean’s article in the LA Times were critical.

But–forgive the ruminations of a grandfather–it seems that in my own lifetime, the Left has gone from loudly screaming for Free Speech (at least the freedom to burn the flag, use foul language, and praise America’s enemies) in the Berkeley Free Speech Movement to calling for censorship of those who don’t share its viewpoint. I don’t see it as a coincidence that the government is going after the Gallup Poll for abusing government largesse just as the Gallup Poll starts reporting the President’s numbers slipping. There surely are a lot of others out there abusing the public trough.

Would Lean dare to say that the SPLC should be implicated in the shootings at the Family Research Council? Probably not. Few voices on the Left these days–apart from Nat Hentoff, it seems–accept that the other side should have Constitutional RIghts, too.

That reminds a bit of:

“Video by a Girl about how in 2006 Borders,the International Bookstore Company,out of Fear,decided to always put the Koran on the Top Shelf”

AND ALSO

“Chapter 10:90-95 of the Koran has 2 False Assertions about what is in the Bible”

“The False Conversion to Islam by Henryk Broder,the Most Famous Jewish Intellectual in Germany”

As you indicate, if Breivik didn’t exist then the beard-and-burqa imperialists would have to invent him. I think you and Pamela Geller do a great job under high pressure.

This eejit and his collaborators should have listened to JFK: “who makes peaceful revolution impossible makes violent revolution inevitable”. And yes, Breivik quoted that, but this is not JFK’s fault, nor ours.

This little sell-out, panty-waste keyboard warrior has his paychecks signed by Reza Aslan. All after knowing that is no surprise…

The depth to which American journalism has sunk since I resigned from my paper in protest over its managers’ refusal to print any of the Jyllens-Posten Muhammad cartoons in solidarity with our colleagues in Denmark is absolutely appalling. The LA Times’ cravenness in accomodating this enemy of fundamental liberal values is only the latest in an unending stream of outrages.

Nathan Lean must feel proud of his influence — but he should note that Julius Streicher once had quite an extensive readership, and look at where he ended up:

Lean is a coward and an evil little girlie man…Just the kind of scoundrel Allah likes…I wonder if he believes Allah is God and Mahound his messenger? Would Aslan hire anyone who didn’t believe that? Is Lean a jihadi? Do chickens have teeth? If it looks like a jihadi, sounds like a jihadi, and acts like a jihadi, it must be a…

Islamic law can’t survive in a free environment – there is no Islamic or Muslim country on earth that allows free speech as we know it.

And someone who is as deeply pious as Reza Aslan – would feel it is his duty to – in one way or another bring about Islamic law – in the US.

Accusations of ‘racism/Islam-phobias’ is a good excuse to try to amend the laws in this fashion.

To argue that it was ‘free speech’ that led to Anders Behring Breivik actions – by Breivik’s own admission he rejected everyone’s ideas on peaceful discourse – in light of Islam’s problematic aspects – and he instead – turned to Al-Qaeda philosophy – to bring about his vision.

We keep coming back to Islam and its religiously sanctioned violence.

List the counties:

Philippines
      Southern Thailand
      Pakistan
      Swathes of Africa
      The Middle East
      Afghanistan & Caucasus Mountains

It sounds like a desperate attempt to free Islam from itself – by accusing others of a crime they could have taken no part in.

Nathan Lean may soon sound like the radical Muslims – when they say – these are the ‘enemies of Islam’ – and they must be stopped.

And it begs the question of how far the anti-racism campaigns are willing to go – over and above the protection of the individual and their inalienable rights.

The protection of a religious ideology falls outside of their remit.

The free state should in no way protect a religious ideology – except to allow one to practise their religion freely and in a peaceful manner.

The Aslan Media group is on a radical path away from what we believe.

Nathan Lean should realize that if freedom of speech restrictions come, Islam and he may be its unintended targets for advocating violence against individuals!
    Remember the fate of Robespierre in the French revolution.

‘Psychopath’, she shouted…Hannibal Lecter with a keyboard instead of a scalpel…But Hannibal didn’t hate anyone, he just took care of business…He was more of a hands on kind of guy…But not Lean…he hides behind trees and rocks and takes pot shots at his perceived enemy…He is a lot like a stalker with lethal thoughts…His delusional system is ‘fixed’, which is why he likes to focus on Geller and Spencer…Every bit of his smear campaign are projections of his own dark soul, that seems to be possessed by Allah…And he is not the only one in that miserable condition…Allah seems to be possessing a number of writer types, and other kuffar, ‘who should know better’, who are similar to Lean in style and attitude…Those who know the ‘qualities’ of Allah can see them oozing from Leans writings…

“The pair has agitated some of the country’s nastiest displays of prejudice. Their bus advertisements equating the Palestinian cause with jihad created a stir in New York and San Francisco…”

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

What is so nasty about equating the Palestinian cause with jihad? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yIlszDfp94

Encouraging to note almost 100% of the comments condemn Nathan Lean, most of them aware of who Lean is and what he represents while many others criticize the Norwegian justice system which gave such a light sentence to this mass murderer.

So: Nathan Lean, the gormless, far-Left piece of stinking shit, has been sending you threats like that?

You know something? Is it any wonder Breivik did what he did?

The far-Left are creating a potential Breivik every single day.

You try to suppress the native, patriotic people with threats – especially to their family – then you can expect an unstoppable backlash.

Destroy the far-Left.

Nathan Lean! He is a serious Joke and Jack A’s he and Who Follows Him or who He Leads or inspire! Being Reported is Great and He Should Be. But I hope He doesn’t get “Hired by the Administration”! I see what is happening at the “DNC Convention” !
    God Bless America!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It’d be entertaining if Nathan ever notices me and starts sending threats.
    He won’t like the response, let me assure of that. As it is, right now, because of his treatment of you, and his stalking-behaviour, he’s going onto my surveillance list, and he’d best not ever come near me, Husband is NOT forgiving of people who do that stalking thing as one nearly killed me in our home a few years back.

Mr. Lean had best conduct himself in proper accord with civilized behaviour, the Eyes of Z-Ha’Dum are on him now, and if anything happens to you, I will be immediately forwarding this article as well as what my own files contain about his whereabouts and activities to the FBI, RCMP, Interpol and a few other agencies I know would likely take an interest in such.

You don’t need to watch him, I am.
    Be safe & well, you and your family, always.
    We need and respect Truth-Tellers like you in the age of encroaching islamification.

~Marlene~

Wellington, my friend

I would say that the three despicable persons you mention above have very good understanding of the First Amendment being the vanguard of the liberty of the American people. That is precisely why they hate it.
    They are too cowardly to openly call for its removal, so they try to “deactivate” it through insidious, relentless campaign designed to corrupt its meaning and substance until only an empty shell- a caricature of its original self remains.
    Quisling was a renegade, but even he had more dignity than these three disgusting whores. He deserved to die – they deserve to live in infamy, facing contempt and revulsion.

Why do you have to be sorry? You’re not making those threats to Robert, Pamela, or anyone else (wink, wink).

The trouble is our justice system can’t make the actual perps sorry that they want to kill people rather than merely criticize them.

@Paleologos:

You worship at an “altar”. “Alter” means “to change”. Crazy English teacher strikes again.

Hello, thomas_h. Hope you’re doing well. Good to hear from you again. When I first wrote that those three have little understanding of the First Amendment I had put “(or contempt for it)” in that sentence. Arguably I should have kept it in but I concluded that having little understanding and appreciation of something great, and the First Amendment is a very great something, often entails contempt for that great thing which in turn is evidence of little understanding and appreciation. Ah, it’s the lawyer in me parsing things again. Don’t hold it against me. Well, OK, hold it against me at least a little. I sure would.

Again, good to have you posting again here at JW. Take care, my friend.

I was reading to see if anyone remembered this video by non other than the Jihadist in “Let’s fool the stupid west making believe I am for peace; wolf in sheeps clothing” Jasser Arafat himself.

I wonder how many will jump and repeat the same old tired “It was taken out of context” BS.

The internet will be the final nail in the coffin for these pricks.