Ex-Muslim in Muslim country reveals that she is an apostate

The Liberated One, the ex-Muslim who has been blogging from a Muslim country, has a harrowing new post about telling her family about her apostasy from Islam:

I just blurted out to Sara and Uzma that I am not a Muslim anymore. Gosh, you should have seen the look on their face, as if they had seen a ghost or something, they looked fearful and terrified and shocked. As if I said something so unbelievably shocking and demonic that hearing those words would bring a curse to their lives. They said, what? What do you mean? Please say you didn’t really mean it. Please don’t let us down like this. We have convinced your brothers to let it go and accept John, and we are trying to convince your parents as well. If this is true, then we won’t be able to do anything, and if we tell this to our husbands, they would never let us speak to you again, and you would never be able to see your nieces and nephews again, because you will be literally dead to us.

Be sure to read it all.

Ex-Muslim in Muslim country tells family about her apostasy: "I am actually happy"
UN asks governments to protect freedom of religion

Comments

“I just blurted out to Sara and Uzma that I am not a Muslim anymore.”

That’s like someone telling you: “I just stood in the bathtub and put my finger in a live socket”, or “I just took a stick and poked a dozen wasp nests”, or “I just put on a red meat suit and began kicking a bunch of wild lions”.

No, actually, I’m not quite correct. What Liberated One did was more reckless. Unless you have a commando unit of SEALS backing you up, my advice to Muslim apostates is, don’t tell your family.

I understand what you are saying, Lemon-Lime, but there is something in human nature that cannot be crushed, an inborn desire to speak ones mind, no matter what the consequences.
    She knows her family and thinks that there reacting violently is a long shot. It is not entirely reckless.
    And anyway Death cannot be avoided, but cowardice certainly can be. The Liberated one has decided that it is better to live well and bravely than not to. It makes sense to me. I

“I said, Mom, how can you say Islam is a religion of peace when the first thing it says is to kill anyone who leaves it. Isn’t that ample proof that it’s a cult, an evil cult?”

Yes, it is.

It may be relevant, at this point, to quote Ibn Warraq.

Here he is, talking to Aussie journalist Stephen Crittenden, about his book ‘Leaving Islam’.

This interview would originally have been broadcast on Australian radio: Radio National, ‘The Religion Report’,

First Broadcast:Wednesday 2 July 2003 8:30AM

Link here still works as of November 2012:

It includes this very arresting paragraph:

“Islam has two sets of teeth, like elephants. One is ivory, which makes it elegant and majestic; the other set of teeth is hidden inside its jaws, and is used to chew and crush.”

*Nobody* in Australia’s ‘chattering classes’ who heard that particular interview would have *any* excuse for not knowing about the twofacedness of Islam, nor for not knowing about the standard sharia penalty for apostasy; Ibn Warraq made it crystal clear, and his interviewer let him tell it like it is, it doesn’t come across as a hostile interview.

And here is Ibn Warraq on a common experience of people like ‘Liberated One’, in this article which appeared in the Times (online) in 2005 (the link, alas, now runs up against a paywall; the article was featured and discussed in jihadwatch at the time,

but the passage I am going to cite was not reproduced. Fortunately, when exploring the archives in 2006-2007, I clicked on the link – then active – and read the whole thing and made a copy of it. The passage I cite is from that copy).

Muslim apostates cast out and at risk from faith and family
    By Anthony Browne (Times Online)
    February 5, 2005

“The most high-profile British apostate is Ibn Warraq, a Pakistani-born intellectual and former teacher from London, who lost his faith after the Salman Rushdie affair and set out his reasons in the book Why I am not a Muslim.

‘He recently edited the book Leaving Islam, but finds it hard to explain the hostility.

“It’s very strange. Even the most liberal Muslim can become incredibly fierce if you criticise Islam, or, horror of horrors, leave it.”‘

Which is precisely what ‘Liberated One’ has, I think, just discovered.

I *don’t* think her family were outwardly fanatical, or she wouldn’t have *dared* tell them.

What she has now seen are the ‘second set of teeth’ that Ibn Warraq referred to in the passage I quoted first, above.

She has seen her apparently nice, semi-observant family morph, terrifyingly.

She must up stakes and flee; or hang around to be killed.

Awhile ago, I read a very interesting account of a talk given by an Anglican clergyman who has headed up a church – a relic of the British raj era – in a middle eastern country.

“I baptised 13 adult Muslims some time ago, and the following week 11 of them were killed”

“How could you baptise someone when it is so dangerous for them?

“The person asking the question used the term ‘signing the death warrant’ of the 11 men who died.

“[A] Another Muslim man came to me seeking baptism. He knew he faced death so I told him to study for another year and see how he felt then. He told me that he wanted to follow Jesus, come what may.

“So we prayed and as I prayed I was shown the story of Philip and the Ethiopian eunuch. Philip didn’t send the Ethiopian away for a year, so I baptised this man there and then.

“When Muslims come for baptism it is done in absolute secrecy.

“If one person knows, even if they only tell their wife, they are then in danger.

“**The 11 who died told someone, the 2 who didn’t kept the secret even from closest family.”** {my emphasis – dda}.

I wonder whether the ones who got killed, were the ones who – like ‘Liberated One’ – seriously underestimated the hold of Islam over their families and friends; who came from semi-westernised, seemingly-not-fanatically-devout social circles and therefore just weren’t able to fully internalise the idea that their nice, sweet, gentle, seemingly intelligent and educated mother and father or other kin or friends or colleagues, might morph in a matter of seconds, or hours, or days, into cold-eyed or flaming-eyed assassins.

In short, my advice to ‘Liberated One’ is this: FLEE.

If you want to stay alive to make a new life as a Christian woman with a Christian husband in a free country: FLEE.

NOW.

I do hope that the ‘literally’ was just a figure of speech.

I get the impression from the comments her family made that they aren’t so much hostile to her as afraid what will happen to them and to her.

Am I the only one who still has questions here?

This woman says she is dating a man and they went on vacation together to several non-Islamic countries. Why didn’t they make plans to stay in one of them, and save the information that she has left Islam for after they are away from the immediate danger? I assume this man knows the risks here. Why would he allow a woman he loves to stay in this Islamic country at all?

I’m sorry, but this story still doesn’t quite add up to me.

Am I the only one who still has questions here?

I’m sorry, but this story still doesn’t quite add up to me.

I agree that it was very unwise of ‘Liberated’ to declare her apostacy to anyone (as many commenters here have noted).

But now that she has already done this, she should leave the country ASAP, even if this ME country is as liberal as Dubai.

If she fails to do this, then that would be the second major foolishness. One can be safe from the consequences of their stupidity for only so long.

To declare one is an apostate of Islam is not safe anywhere in the world. There is always some idiot waiting to please the mythical Allah and earn immediate entry to Paradise.

I wonder what Munkar and Naker have to say to apostates in their graves and what specially gruesome method of extracting their souls have been devised by Allah the Most Merciful.

An odd phenomenon I’ve noticed a number of times in comments threads here at JW. My comment is the one most forcefully articulates a certain point of view. Then a few subsequent commenters ignore my comment(s), but focus on some other commenter who articulates a sort of watered-down version of my point of view.

This odd phenomenon is most vividly demonstrated in this thread.

She seems to think that her society would punish her murder, and that her somewhat aged parents won’t do anything. Even if she is right that her immediate family won’t kill her, she may be underestimating the possibility now of someone in her family negligently leaking this secret to Muslims outside the immediate family. If just one family member has loose lips, and the wider society finds out, then the risks go way up.

There is something else to think about.

Islam is a cult that fosters twofacedness and deception.

Christianity is the diametrical opposite. It encourages the believer to ‘walk in the light'; to ‘speak the truth in love’. To be honest and open.

Christians have, in certain circumstances (and usually with much soul-searching), in order to save the lives of vulnerable people, engaged in deception – see Corrie Ten Boom’s “The Hiding Place”, or the life of Irene Sendler who smuggled Jewish children out of Warsaw and got them hidden with Christian families (all the while concealing their real names, in code, in a bottle buried in the garden) and heroically withstood Gestapo torture to protect those she had saved. Further ago in time, Christians hid in the catacombs.

But, in general, Christians tend toward openness about their deeds and beliefs…even when such openness may be dangerous. Their role models are, after all, John the Baptist, assorted Hebrew prophets, Daniel, Esther, the Three Young Men in the fiery furnace, and the Lord himself; and there is that text in the gospels which says

“Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven.
    “But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven”. [Matthew 10: 32-33]

(And the very next verses that follow are about the division that will result, when some family members choose to confess Christ, and are persecuted by those who choose not to believe – ‘a man’s foes shall be they of his own household’).

Now, from what I have seen of the testimonies of ex-Muslims who’ve become Christians, *all* of them seem to reach a point, fairly early on, where they *tire* of subterfuge; where they simply *cannot* conceal from their families their change of allegiance.

It is as if, having abandoned the Religion of Lying/ Deception, and embraced a religion that turns upon truth and troth, they decide, however rashly, and in a kind of spiritual impatience, to *have done* with deceptions once and for all…

And they tend to take texts like that Gospel passage I have just quoted, Jesus’ warning of the consequence of public denial, much more to heart than the average lukewarm Western believer does.

Shakila – very new in her new faith – may be, at some level, however imprudent and downright dangerous it seems to be, simply attempting to live by *its* ethics and teachings – which involve an abandonment of deception and concealment – rather than by the tenets of Islam.

And anyway “Death cannot be avoided, but cowardice certainly can be.”

Wow AC, quite a weighty quote there, and a worthy one, for many circumstances.

But nevertheless, caution would better ensure an opportunity for her to manage to live a longer life, perchance to enjoy, and learn more of the light of life, and maybe be able to encourage more people to dare to leave the darkness of the gangland madness of islam, if at least by successful example.

“I’ve got the ‘I cleared my cache, still got the Typepad Alzheimer Can’t Remember Me Have to Sign Up Everytime I Come Back’ blues, yeah yeah yeah, oh my my Lawdy Lawdy me…”

Ok now that I’ve got that out of the way…

AnneCrockett,

That’s fine if you want to argue that — but then Liberated One would have to take responsibility for us not caring if she gets tortured or killed.

Can’t have it both ways.

” … What Liberated One did was more reckless. Unless you have a commando unit of SEALS backing you up, my advice to Muslim apostates is, don’t tell your family”

I do hope she will be alright. She says in her post that being murdered by her family for apostasy is not very likely, given where she is, but I fear she is being too sanguine.

‘Honour’ murders have been carried out in the *West*, so I don’t see why she is convinced she is **safe** in whatever muslim country she’s in.

I’d also be **very** concerned for her fiancee ‘John’. Her family could quite easily blame him for her apostasy, and murder him, as well.

LL, regretably I thoroughly agree with your excellent analysis. I hope she comes to her senses before it is to late, and sneaks quietly out of the country, immediately, with or without her friend. She is in extreme peril, as is he, but she worse, likely,from her brothers, maybe from husbands, also. Father mother would normally be the worst, but you never know whom will act. Imaginary family honor of all being suckers to islam is damaged, now the family unit is imperfect, must be corrected by taking out the rotten apple, literally.

What a mess, since she apparently thinks she knows them. That is not possible, in the gang of islam. The chance of her selling them on leaving the islam madness, while they have just learned something worse than as if she just announced that she has become and been a professional girl for the past year, and with what is to them the enemy, and not a faithful muzzie all along, is nil or worse. She just inflames their staggering shock, by trying to explain and persuade. Not good at all.

They care not for the truth she learned, only the lies they believe.

@LL,

‘ Unless you have a commando unit of SEALS backing you up, my advice to Muslim apostates is, don’t tell your family.’

funny,yet frightening. is there any word to describe these contrasting feelings? oh,dont say ‘islam’.
    At another level, this may dissuade potential apostates, i feel.

I completely agree w/ this. Any ex-Muslim who is abandoning Islam and actually thinks about telling his or her family, let alone actually doing it, needs to have his or her head examined.

I agree w/ Mo as well – I doubt that either she nor ‘John’ are very bright.

“She says in her post that being murdered by her family for apostasy is not very likely, given where she is, but I fear she is being too sanguine.”

Yes, I agree she is being sanguine about the irredeemably sanguinary nature of her Muslim family. But that’s her fault and responbility, not ours. She obviously hasn’t been listening to any cautionary voices, if one reads her blog over these past months. My guess is that she still doesn’t think Islam is that bad, because she herself still has the Islamic disease semi-consciously.

………………………….

“Please don’t let s down like this”. More pressure from the “collective”, the Ummah. In Islam, no one is considered an individual, free agent, but just part of the mob. They are either pressured by others to stay in line, or consider it their prerogative to pressure others.

More:

………………………….

Good cop, bad cop. The sisters-in-law are presenting themselves as the “good cops”, who are protecting Shakila from her brothers, the “bad cops”.

But in the end, they are all “policing” the Liberated One’s continued adherence to Islam.

And I agree with everyone here who has noted how deeply worrying that “you will be literally dead to us”. This could be just a turn of phrase”but in Islam, this use of “literally” is often *exactly what it says*.

More:

For a moment I was tempted to just go on with the charade that I have been playing for the last one year, but then I thought, what the hell. I am tired of living a lie and it’s high time I come out with the truth.
    ………………………….

I understand and even generally applaud this stance. But consider”telling the truth to people who will in no way appreciate it is a case of “pearls before swine” *at best*. At worst, it puts the speaker of that truth in grave danger.

More:

What’s the worst that can happen? My parents have already disowned me, and perhaps they would disown me a grade higher, perhaps tell the world their daughter is dead, or worst come worse, they would just kill me, which is highly unlikely in this part of the world. They are old and retired and lived all their lives in the middle east. They don’t want to spend the rest of their lives behind bars, or worse still, get deported to the God forsaken Pakistan, which is literally a hell on earth.

I knew my parents could not do much…
    ………………………….

Perhaps”but the presumed apathy and force of habit of others is a slim reed to *stake your life on*. “Defending Islam” or “defending their honor” might trump all. For pious Muslims, it so often does.

And what about the husbands of those sisters-in-law, Shakila’s own brothers? They aren’t old and retired, and may present the greatest threat. The sisters-in-law have already implied that they have had to intervene with their husbands on Shalkila’s behalf”and that was just when she was known to be “guilty” of dating an Infidel”even an Infidel they assumed would soon convert to Islam. How much more violent might their reaction be to learning that their sister is an apostate?

More:

I asked her a question which left her speechless. I said, Mom, how can you say Islam is a religion of peace when the first thing it says is to kill anyone who leaves it. Isn’t that ample proof that it’s a cult, an evil cult? She said that she was not interested to hear about all that and she was very happy being a Muslim.
    ………………………….

Notice what Shakila’s mother does *not* say here’she doesn’t deny that killing apostates is a tenet of Islam, nor does she reassure her daughter that neither she nor any of the family would harm her because of her apostasy.

I find this deeply troubling.

Jan wrote, replying to LemonLime:

………………………….

I fear she is being too sanguine, as well. Despite the alarm of Robert Spencer and many posters both here and at her blog, I am concerned that she”like so many Muslim apostates”is simply in denial when it comes to grasping the true savagery of Islam.

Her “loving family” has already shown how conditional that love is on her remaining in the cult of Islam.

More from Jan:

………………………….

That’s perhaps my greatest concern as well, Jan. While the family’s love of their daughter *might* possibly keep them from murdering her, there are no such brakes when it comes to John. I believe he is in considerable danger now, especially from Shakila’s brothers.

I would advise them both to leave the country for Britain *as soon as possible*”even if that means being unable to wrap up all the loose ends.

Both their lives may well depend on this.

Shakila, be safe”you and John, both!

The only responsibility for the safety of Muslim apostates is

1) Muslims (including Liberated One’s family whom she still thinks in her delusion are not deadly monsters)

2) Western governments who should be protecting them, not defending Muslims.

Since neither 1 nor 2 are fulfilling their responsibility, any Muslim who wants to leave Islam should treat their Muslim family as deadly monsters; and if they don’t, they are deluded, and we may wash our hands of their fate if they have not heeded our warnings.

And if anyone doesn’t get the full impact of what I’m saying, they just haven’t been paying attention to the full horror of Muslims as documented on Jihad Watch week after bloody week, month after ghastly month, year after ghoulish year.

I am deeply offended by anyone taking the danger of Islam lightly. I don’t care who they are — Muslim apostates, the Pope, even Robert Spencer.

These are young people in love, presumably, Mo. That alone can do strange things to otherwise rational thought.

And have you noticed, how so many people, right here in America, given evidence that we and many others see about the evil of the current regime, will have none of it, ignore it, twist it in their minds to be just fine, but oh so unwisely and unintelligently.

Through the years, I’ve seen intelligent people be inconsistent, and make staggering mistakes of judgement or behavior, inspite of superior accomplishments, or intelligence, in specific areas, or even generally.

People involved in the moment are not wise, sometimes, not knowledeable, sometimes, greatly worsened when they are young as well, and oh, how much easier to mistake when in love, especially furtively! You may let your mind take flight and delude yourself into irrational belief, just because.

I hope that make sense to you, or reminds of reality of life. Even the best of us cannot escape being less than perfect in some manner. I speak from very long and personal experience, of the many ways of human frailties of the mind. I’ve seen them in others, and experienced some myself. I suspect the more courageous and brighter of us are actually more likely to make those errors, than the slower but steadier of us.

Mo, another way to explain it is to remind in this manner of reality of even this Western Civilization side of life, in this essay:

I tailored [] it slightly for the islamic side of life, that deadly totalitarian dark side,

“It is at the family fireside [clay walls], often under the shelter of the law itself [koran,sharia], that the real tragedies of life are acted [honor murder]; in these days traitors wear gloves, scoundrels cloak themselves in public esteem [parents, siblings], and their victims [mostly girls] die broken-hearted [not honor murdered in the West], but smiling to the last [not in islam]. What I have just related to you is almost an every-day occurrence; and yet you profess astonishment.” – Émile Gaboriau, French writer, novelist, and journalist, 1832-1873

So many of us profess to be smart, educated, knowledgeable and wise and yet we are taken in virtually every day by scoundrels and traitors that walk the halls of government and talk out of both sides of their mouths about freedom, liberty and the American way. When we discover their treachery or corruption, our mouths drop in disbelief. We cry, “How can this be? Are not those that represent us honorable men?”….

I suspect that was a psychological signal, not exactly a slip of the tongue. Something known, but not wanting to be conscious, and maybe an intentional unintentional signal, to Liberated, a warning, to get out instantly, within hours, or a day, max, for safety. Many in that family know, of suspect, someone will act, very soon, if she remains within their grasp, knife range, gun range, even limb range, or stone range. Ditto him.

Gravenimage, nicely done, agree totally, and I know they should leave with the clothes on their backs, immediately.

She has destroyed the emotional ties to her family, and they see it as ultimate insult in their “investment” in her as chattel, the men who collectively rule, that is, which means the whole lot of them, bros, husbands, father. She is ultimately chattel, that is what they have been inculcated or brainwashed with all their lives.

Further, it may be worse, if the parents could be deported to Paki for murder, instead of short or no prison sentence, it means they may be Paki derived, and more conservative, at least fundamentally. And this likely would be passed off on the men, and in any event they will see this as an afront to not only their imaginary family honor, but erosion of their control, even worse, and move to redress, quickly. A kind of “out, out, damn spot” kind of erasure of a bad seed, before it taints everyone, in their sick minds.

Shakila must depart immediately, with or without John, and he is as you said in mortal danger, equally, I believe. They do blame her slightly more as I understand it, as she should have known better, to not behave outside of the code, or suffer the defined consequences.

”My guess is that she still doesn’t think Islam is that bad, because she herself still has the Islamic disease semi-consciously”

I disagree. I think it’s far more likely, as dumbledoresarmy and gravenimage say, that as *she* loves her family, she just can’t believe that they wouldn’t love *her* enough to accept, or at least ignore, her apostasy.

Think of the ‘honour’ murders that have been reported here. How many times have the girls involved succumbed to a loving plea from the family, to come home, ”we’ll sort things out” etc, only to be foully murdered by the people they *love*.

When one loves people, it’s very hard, almost impossible, to believe that they might actually wish to **kill** one.

Rifqa Bari was an exception; she **knew** just how murderous her family were, after all, she had had ample opportunities to recognise it. **And** she had Christian supporters, plus all the publicity surrounding her case.

I am terrified for Shakila and her ‘John’. She and he need to **get out now**. She needs to be told how foolish and foolhardy she’s being. I just hope to God there isn’t a foul murder, or murders, waiting to unfold here.

You make my case, rather than yours — if you factor in the fact that she’s from and grown up in a Muslim country, among Muslims, in a Muslim family; and she’s not mentally retarded or brain-damaged, but is quite bright. Absolutely, utterly, no excuse for her to be so blind. Sure, a Park Avenue dhimmi airhead on the evening news — someone like that we could understand would demonstrate such a lapse in judgement. Not Shakila. Round peg, square hole. See the latest entry above and the comments, particularly one commenter who focuses on two more of Shakila’s inane claims that an ex-Muslim would never make unless 1) they are schizophrenically deluded due to the disease of Islam itself still resident in their psyche; or 2) they are lying. No third explanation makes sense.