Will the Islamophobia never end? "60 killed in Kano bus park bombing," by AbdulSalam Muhammad for Vanguard, March 19:
KANO—About 60 people were feared dead, yesterday evening, in Kano when a suicide bomber attacked a bus park located at Sabon Gari, a predominantly Christian quarters.
The blast reportedly destroyed several buses while soldiers and policemen cordoned off the area after the blast.
The Chairman, Ohanaeze Ndigbo, Kano, Chief Tobias Idika told Vanguard on phone that, “the incident occurred around 5.00 pm when activities at the park were at their peak. So far we have counted 60 human bodies burnt to ashes from five luxury buses affected by the blast. Eye witnesses gave conflicting accounts of how the explosion occured [sic].
An account said “the blast occurred as five fully loaded buses were moving towards the exit gate at the park when an unidentified individual driving a Golf Volkswagen car in an opposite direction rammed into the buses resulting in an explosion. The suicide bomber died instantly.”
According to Chief Idiaka , “all the five buses have been reduced to ashes by the impact of the blast, and scores of others with high degree burns have been taken to Government hospital. Casualty figures might rise if what I have seen so far is anything to go by.
“We saw it coming and we informed the relevant authority to provide security for us in Sabon Gari but it fell on deaf ears”, he lamented.
Idika who was in tears further said: “ I cannot comprehend that human lives can be wasted like this; it is a horrible scene to behold and the fire service are trying their best to put off the inferno within and around the park”.
Another eyewitness told Vanguard that “an Improvised Explosive Device went off in one of the five buses going out of the park by 5.00pm”, adding that ”there are heightened fears that none of the passengers survived the blast.”
The Sabon Gari blast triggered pandemonium in the state capital as shops were hurriedly shut down in fear of possible looting by hoodlums....