They view Wales as a safe haven in comparison to London, which is itself a hotbed of Islamic supremacism. "Schools threat as Wales is 'target for extremists,'" by Marco Giannangeli and James Fielding for the Express, April 28:
COUNTER terror experts are targeting schools feared to have been infiltrated by Islamic fundamentalists using Wales as a base for recruitment.
The move comes after the country was identified as having a “very real” threat of terrorist activity.
Experts fear that extremists view Wales as a safe haven compared with London for would-be terrorists.
A leaked “restricted report” called the Wales Contest plan exposes growing radicalisation in Cardiff and proposes extra training in how to spot extremism for staff at schools “identified as having increased risks” of radicalism.
In December 2010, Cardiff brothers Abdul Miah, 25, and Gurukanth Desai, 30, along with Omar Sharif Latif, were arrested after planning a Mumbai-style attack on the London Stock Exchange. They were eventually jailed for a total of 40 years.
Last year Idris Faridi, 32, of Roath, Cardiff, was jailed for nine months after a “terrorist’s manual” called 39 Ways To Serve And Proceed In Jihad was discovered on his computer’s hard drive. He had applied to work at the Millennium Stadium during the Olympic Games.
A Welsh Government spokesman said last night: “In Wales, we work with a wide range of partners from across the public sector to raise awareness of issues relating to extremism and to improve community cohesion.
“As in England, this work includes education sessions for teachers and staff, undertaken by police ‘engagement officers’, which enables any potential issues to be identified and dealt with quickly.”
Last week a new report by Europol found that the number of terrorist acts and related arrests rose across Europe in 2012, bucking a downward trend in previous years.
The report revealed there were 219 terrorist attacks across Europe in 2012, compared with 174 in 2011.
The number of people arrested for terror-related offences also rose to 537, from 484 in the previous year.
Meanwhile Europol director Rob Wainwright revealed that increasing numbers of radicalised EU citizens have travelled to regions of conflict to take part in terrorist activities.
He said: “There is growing concern about the threat posed by these people, given the possibility of their returning to the European Union intent on committing acts of terrorism.”