U.S. officials admit Boston jihadis motivated by Islam

No kidding, really? This took this long for them to admit because they were hoping they could find some way to spin it away. “Officials: Boston suspects motivated by religion,” by David Crary for the Associated Press, April 22 (thanks to EH):

Preliminary evidence suggests the suspects in the Boston Marathon bombings were motivated by religion but not tied to any terrorist groups, two U.S. officials say.

BOSTON “” The two brothers suspected of bombing the Boston Marathon appear to have been motivated by a radical brand of Islam but do not seem connected to any Muslim terrorist groups, U.S. officials said Monday after interrogating and charging Dzhokhar Tsarnaev with crimes that could bring the death penalty.

Tsarnaev, 19, was charged in his hospital room, where he was in serious condition with a gunshot wound to the throat and other injuries suffered during his attempted getaway. His older brother, Tamerlan, 26, died Friday after a fierce gunbattle with police.

The Massachusetts college student was charged with using and conspiring to use a weapon of mass destruction. He was accused of joining with his brother in setting off the shrapnel-packed pressure-cooker bombs that killed three people and wounded more than 200 a week ago.

The brothers, ethnic Chechens from Russia who had been living in the U.S. for about a decade, practiced Islam.

Robert Spencer and Michael Coren on the Boston jihad bombings and media denial
Obama Administration will not try Boston jihad murderer as enemy combatant

Comments

The reluctant, yet inevitable response by “U.S. officials”, is entirely unremarkable. That’s what “U.S. officials” do, sine GWB declared Islam a “religion of peace”.

What is remarkable, and quite troubling in my opinion, are supposed learned JihadWatchers who had the audacity to speculate against all reason, that the Boston jihad was anything but such.

How can Robert make any ground when some of his supposed allies questioned his printing of the initial NY Post article, as potentially damaging, being prejudiced and, the worst of the worst, exuding “Islamophobia” by jumping to conclusions?

Shame on you all where condemnation is applicable. You know who you are.

“You will not apply my precept,” he [SH] said, shaking his head. “How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?”
    Sign of the Four (1890),

*****

“Holder, that’s NOT acceptable. As I said in Audacity of Hope, ‘I will stand with the Muslims should the political winds shift in an ugly direction.'” Well, this Boston business is a most decidedly an ugly direction, and I don’t like it.

“Now, Holder, get out there and find some other reason for this behavior. Not Islam. These boys may have gotten bad pizza, or bad pizza delivery service. Maybe the cable guy didn’t show up on time. Anything, but get Islam out of the limelight. Pronto. Capisce?”

“…a radical brand of Islam”? As opposed to the “non-radical’ brand?

This doesn’t sound like any kind of step forward by the “officials” to me, either in rhetoric or thinking. In fact, it sounds suspiciously self-serving. It seems as if they’re using this language to paint a “lone wolf’ scenario so that they don’t have to admit that we have a larger problem, and so they don’t have to admit that they’re ignoring and hiding the larger problem.

Eventually, the unsustainable and false “lone wolf’ vs. “part of a larger terrorism plot’ dichotomy sham is going to collapse.

It is Islam.

It’s kind of funny to watch their self-contradicting lies collapse on them.

“Two U.S. officials said preliminary evidence from the younger man’s interrogation suggests the brothers were motivated by religious extremism but were apparently not involved with Islamic terrorist organizations”

Did they go to a mosque or not?

I also find it curious that the Obama administration has suddenly and passively allowed the motive to be publicly attributed to islam in any way, shape or form.

I’m forced to conclude that they fear something else even more damaging than that.

“… but were apparently not involved with Islamic terrorist organizations.”

Oh? And why is this so “apparent”? Especially after the older brother took a six-month trip to his native region: whom did he see there? And who paid his way? And who furnished the explosives and triggering device found on his corpse? Etc., etc, etc. …

If you find a turtle on top of a fence post, it’s a pretty good bet that he didn’t get there by himself.

They became pious Muslims..

I don’t believe for one second these two evil scrotes did it all on their own.

And I sincerely hope the **wife** of the elder is being thoroughly questioned, interrogated, and kept **under surveillance**.

The wife’s story is very, very similar to that of Samantha Lewthwaite. Remember her ?

**Our** authorities let that evil b**** go, because they had no ‘evidence’ against her, and she’s still at large, causing misery, murder and mayhem.

Want to bet this Katherine Russell isn’t exactly the same. She didn’t even kick into touch the evil Tamerlane when he beat the sh** out of her.

Oh, she’s another Lewthwaite all right. I’d bet money on it.

I’d call this an important step in the right direction. By the process of elimination they must have been motivated by Islamic teachings then, ie the Quran, I think this will start to open the eyes of the average person. As soon as it was reported I decided this was a couple of home grown Muslims, & I was right. There are literally millions of other young Muslims in the West that think the same as these two brothers, & any of them could go off at any given moment as well.

Are those US officilas still in theirjob and not yet fired by the present administration? This is from people who scrubbed all reference to Islam from FBI and military training manuals!! What took them so long??

I think they will forget it by tomorrow and go back to “Islam has nothing to do with terrorism” Morons!!

Offering an educated guess, and one in hindsight proven entirely correct is not akin to jumping to conclusions. Even if the result were different, it does not offer Islam one iota of exoneration.

Waiting for evidence is the hallmark of the civilized west… Or actually going out and finding it would be more accurate. There were two murders committed against high ranking members of the legal establishment recently, and there was the possibility that they were due to the same islamic breed of thugs, as there was a relationship to a case of a saudi expecting to be sent home to ‘serve’ his sentence for rape/slavery etc… It was mentioned as a possibility on this site, but it was not insisted that it was the truth… and it turned out not to be. Civilized law, jungle, or the worst of the lot: sharia. Take your pick

Time to cut such good folks a break I would argue. They were wrong but their motives were honest, which can’t be said for those who engage in evil or for those who consistently make excuses for evil, e.g., Tom Brokaw.

I think caution needs to be exercised when examining any terrorist attack, better to examine all possibilities first before jumping to (obvious) conclusions. Islam is a slippery eel with fangs, so handle it with caution. The fact admin even uttered the “I” word is already progress, though they are loath to say so directly. Masking it in “lone wolf” clothing is a knee jerk reaction for the Liberal elite. It’s still very dangerous ‘wolves’. They became serious Muslims, which itself raises danger flag. Next step is ramp up surveillance at the mosque, dismiss all the smiling polite obfuscating Muslims who claim extremism is a ‘tiny minority’, and profile them at the gate. Immigrants from Islamic countries, no matter what their claims, should be vetted thoroughly. Are they ‘religious’? Then restrict them free entry, or suffer the ugly consequences.

@Fiqh Al-Matter – Amen!

“Marathon bombings were motivated by religion”
    “motivated by a radical brand of Islam”
    “motivated by religious extremism”

I see – so the bombers are “radical” “extremist Muslims” – unlike the “peaceful Muslims” who don’t do bombings,

they just flood the country by massive immigration and the “demographic bomb” driving out the native population, demand and implement Sharia law, donate to dual-use charities that somehow end up funding Jihad anyway, support Mosques that radicalize and turn peaceful Muslims into terrorists by way of the “sudden Jihad syndrome”, practice lawfare for the benefit of Islam, multiply the Muslim population and pressure the democratic process to gradually support Islam, drive non-Muslims out of whole neighborhoods and cities creating no-go-zones by threats and intimidation and general degredation of civil society, collapse the existing state by parasitism by overwhelming the social welfare system, food stamps, medicare/medicaid, and the education system that they don’t pay for, convert the native population to Islam by threats and force in marriage, practice barbaric misogynistic rituals which are then shielded from prosecution or even criticism under the ruse and guise of “Religious freedom” and “diversity” and “cultural understanding”, promote Islamic philosophy which is at it’s most fundamental diametrically opposed to Western Civilization, and gradually but eventually destroy Western Civilization and replace it with a barbaric, seventh century, pre-scientific, pre-enlightenment stone age culture that venerates above all else brutality and violence and the irrationality of a willful Allah.

Wellington wrote:

“Awake, I almost always agree with you but I would contend you’re being a bit too harsh here. I was not among those regulars here at JW who cautioned that the barbarians who perpetrated the Boston carnage of last week might not be Muslim, but I understand their motive, that being a devotion to truth above all, to a ruthless and objective pursuit of the truth, something so at odds with Islam and its deluded followers (and the many excuse makers for Islam’s sundry pathologies found among the modern Left).”

Wellington,

I never accused you or anyone by name here. I have a very specific name in mind first and foremost, and he owes Robert a public apology. That said, I will leave it at the honor system, to judge the true mettle of a man.

Robert Spencer currently is under attack from every nefarious angle. That is to be expected. Illogical dissention from the perceived “echo chamber” at the erroneous detriment of Robert, is not.

Everyone makes mistakes, myself included. That is why it is called an apology after the irrefutable fact.

Regards.

My understanding, awake, was that you had a reservation towards several JW commenters who had opined that the Boston carnage might not have been engaged in by Muslims, and not that you had one specific person particularly in mind who was too strident in the way they presented things. My apologies if I misunderstood you.

It’s really not of major consequence, though I too was a bit incredulous that anyone of sense right from the outset could have seriously thought the bombing was anything but Islamically inspired. Anyway, back to the fight, no? Best regards to you and yours.

It seems to me that that “something else even more damaging than that” is what Papa Whiskey is getting at. That it’s quite apparent they WERE involved with Islamic terrorist organizations, and hence that all this slipped under the radar of intelligence agencies or they just weren’t able to intercept this somehow, is even more damaging and utterly embarrassing…

The younger brother has said to authorities that no international terror groups were involved. Well, it suits their aim to not expose the groups so they can further their agenda.

“Two U.S. officials said preliminary evidence from the younger man’s interrogation suggests the brothers were motivated by religious extremism but were apparently not involved with Islamic terrorist organizations….”

The weasel words are in this quote for all to see: “religious extremism”. Just like the clueless Dubya back in 2001, they are attributing these jihadists’ attacks as a perversion of Islam. Same old, same old…

Fair estimation, Wellington. You are entirely correct. Thanks for the well-wishes, and right back at you and yours.

I fear an apology is still in order from a certain someone.

Overall, yes, back to the fight.

Most interesting, SophiaT. If they HAVE to acknowledge (and they do) that islam was the motivation…then they seek to limit the damage to just TWO muslims–that “Tiny Minority” again. Sounds like a fall-back position, doesn’t it? Give the smallest amount of ground possible–with the least truth necessary–and hope to hold on the new line. Insightful thinking, SophiaT, nicely done!

I think the administration hopes that we’ll happily occupy ourselves gnawing on that bone they’ve tossed us.

They don’t want us to notice that the rest of the meat is sitting right there on the table.

I hope you know, of course, that those I meant were those regular JW commenters who very much understand the threat Islam poses to liberty but who simply evinced a concern that if the Boston bombing turned out not to be Islamically motivated that it would set back the anti-jihad cause by assuming wrongly it was Muslim inspired. They had an arguable point, that’s all I was asserting, though it was an arguable point I myself didn’t make, concluding (and saying) right from the get-go as I did that the Boston carnage could be laid at the feet of the Muslim world. So, I would differ with you that what I wrote was “absolute nonsense.” I would close here by indicating my agreement with awake’s distinction between an educated guess not being akin to jumping to conclusions.

……………………………..

They *sure did*.

Good post, Western Canadian.