“My name is Layla Murad. I left Islam in April 2013.”

SONY DSCHere is a fascinating and illuminating exposition of the journey of a mind, as a young Muslim woman explores and examines Islam, and ultimately decides to leave it altogether. Her exercise of her freedom of conscience in this way has placed her life in perpetual danger, thanks to Islam’s death penalty for apostasy — an outrage to human rights that is greeted only with indifference by the world “human rights community.” “My Journey In and Out of Islam,” by Layla Murad at Desperately Seeking Paradise, December 28, 2013:

1. Introduction

My name is Layla Murad. I left Islam in April 2013.

I’ve always been intellectually curious. My story is a long one. A lot of my infatuation with Islam was to do with my inquisitive nature… and of course… the internet.

2. Background

I was brought up in a practising but liberal Muslim household. My parents are Pakistanis, both hailing from Muhajir families in Karachi. Even the most religious among the Muhajirs are often highly progressive and secular minded when it comes to politics and global affairs. My aunt in Pakistan, for example, who started wearing niqāb after the death of her paralysed daughter, has the same zeal for Farhat Hashmi (a popular female Wahhabi preacher) as she does for the secular, ethno-centric policies of the MQM.

Islam was not an obvious, nor a quietist force in my life. It was just there…I didn’t, nor did anyone else, think too much about it. My parents were the kind of people who would be willing to drop me to a nightclub and pick me up again. Yet, they attributed the good in life to the One God, prayed five times a day, fasted during the month of Ramadan, gave charity. I saw my dad make the Hajj. The Islam that had been passed on to me was the basics: the Five Pillars.

But this approach had always seemed bland. I wanted something more….

Islam is always superior to culture, no matter how much Muslims argue that Islam enriches culture. Islam acted as a deterrent to me immersing myself in my Indian roots. I always admired the Eastern traditions and their rich culture of dance and the arts. In Islam, at a textual level, enjoyment becomes limited. A woman dancing in front of men is forbidden, how can I accept this when I like to be the centre of attention at Asian weddings?!

Maybe I just don’t want to submit, they say.

No, I don’t want to submit to a religion that regards human culture as a shameful.

When someone does try to bring about a liberal interpretation, they are often accused of blasphemy and apostasy. This is not a new thing, and has manifested itself throughout the history of the Islamicate. The punishments for blasphemy, apostasy, fornication are worrying. The fact that many modern Muslims feel that denouncing these Quranic punishments is akin to apostasy itself and would make them look less ‘orthodox’, is even more worrying.

In the end, I came to the conclusion that Islam was just like any other religion, in the sense that it could be explained naturally.

All these interpretations were man-made.

Though science has been one of the main reasons why Muslims tend to leave the religion, my reasons for leaving were based more on a personal exploration of the way Islam is practiced. Indeed, I later learned that the so-called verses on embryology in the Quran and its verses on the ‘seven heavens’ are taken from Galenic and Ptolemaic natural philosophy. Islam’s textual incompatibility with modern science only strengthened my decent (or ascent?) from the religion.

11. A learning experience

Through my experience, I learnt that Islam’s mystical traditions, which are often romanticised, can be as problematic as more literalist interpretations….

There is much, much more. Read it all.

Nigeria: Islamic jihadists screaming "Allahu akbar" murder 17, attack "apostate" mosque
Somalia: Islamic jihadists behead mother of two girls and her cousin after discovering they were Christians

Comments

1. mortimer says

So even the attempt or mere suggestion to liberalize or reform or mollify the draconian parts of Sharia makes one a prime target for assassination by the Islamists.

Any attempt at creating a ‘moderate Islam’ is thus silenced almost immediately. Islam is an all-or-nothing faith. Take it or leave, but you cannot pick and choose which parts of Islam you want cafeteria-wise.

There is no Islam-à-la-carte. This young woman figured this out on her own.

• Brian C. Hoff says

On the last day of earth just before the day of judgement the sun will raise from the west to tell mankind that this is the last day. The Koran said the universe is flat which NASA reach after search the 20 billion mile universe we see, they found no evidence of it bending provite or negrative.

• blitz2b says

You are a barrel full of monkeys ‘Brian’ The Koran never once mentions the obvious rotation of the earth round the sun, but you Muslims don’t find that odd that all other ‘science’ you find in the Koran is squeezed out by manipulating the lexicon of classical Arabic.

• blitz2b says

… besides, If the universe is 20 billion miles, and expanding in all directions, would that not make it a cuboid rather than flat? However Allah does say he spread the earth out too, so he is wrong on both counts…

• gravenimage says

“Brian C. Hoff” wrote:

……………………………….

Mohammedans believe that the sun sets in a muddy puddle.

Here’s Qur’an 18:86:

Until, when he reached the setting of the sun, he found it [as if] setting in a spring of dark mud, and he found near it a people. Allah said, “O Dhul-Qarnayn, either you punish [them] or else adopt among them [a way of] goodness.”

More:

……………………………….

“DefenderofIslam”, you idiot! Islam doesn’t hold that the universe is flat—whatever that would mean—but that the *earth* is flat:

Qur’an 15:19:

“And the earth We have spread out (like a carpet); set thereon mountains firm and immovable; and produced therein all kinds of things in due balance.”

Qur’an 20:53:

“He Who has, made for you the earth like a carpet spread out; has enabled you to go about therein by roads (and channels); and has sent down water from the sky…”

And this is no anomaly; the same claims are also made in Qur’an 43:10, 50:7, 51:48, 71:19, 78:6, and 79:30.

2. Bradamante says

That is a wonderful essay. You can feel this young woman’s intelligence and decent nature all the way through. I found myself almost cheering out loud when the scales fell from her eyes and she decided to get out of Islam. I wish her all the best.

3. Nodrog says

All the very best Layla!! Now you can get on with putting your mind to things that will prove to be far, far, far more enriching. You are probably not there yet, but eventually you will come to know what the real world, and real human beings are really all about. Start with Charles Darwin, if you haven’t been there yet. Real knowledge is deep, deep, very deep. And it will be your knowledge!!

4. Sushil says

!!! Well Done Layla Murad !!!

You got You freedom Life. Now You out from SIN’s Sedgy .

You say to all for Islamic truth and about END of Islamic result.
    there is no freedom life in Islam. Islam is only for prohibition for freedom life and nothing at all. Islam is just Ignorance of Truth.

5. SM ISAC says

Layla said, “The more and more I learned about the Murabitum, the more I cherished my own brain.”

Honest and brave.

6. RodSerling says

Nice work, Layla.

As I read your piece, I was reminded again of another less-used Islam apologetic line, i.e., about “moderate” Morocco. There are numerous claims about how such-and-such an Islamic country, unlike Saudi Arabia, Iran, etc., is supposedly modern and moderate, e.g., Malaysia and Indonesia being among the most frequent–and dubious–examples. Even Jordan is sometimes characterized as moderate, the “Canada” of the Middle East.

Whenever I’ve looked into these claims about the supposed moderation of some Islamic country, I’ve invariably found them to be misleading and in many respects false. I don’t have much data on Morocco, and for the most part I don’t rely on personal accounts. Here’s some of what I’ve learned about the beliefs and policies of Muslims in Morocco:

Pew Survey, includes some data on Moroccan Muslims

-> In response to “Do you favor or oppose making sharia law, or
    Islamic law, the official law of the land in our country”, 83% favored, 8% opposed, and 9% don’t know or refused to respond. (See results for Q79a).

-> Ninety-two (92) percent agree with the principle that a wife must always obey her husband.

-> Only 15% agree that sons and daughters should have equal inheritance rights. (See note 34, “Moroccan laws adhere to the Quranic injunction that sons should receive twice the inheritance of daughters. See Sadiqi, Fatima. 2010. “Women’s Rights in the Middle East and North Africa 2010 Morocco.” Freedom House”
    http://www.unhcr.org/refworld/docid/4b990120c.html )

-> Ninety-four (94) percent agree that “Islam is the one true faith leading to eternal life in heaven,” while only 3% agreed that “Many religions lead to eternal life in heaven,” and 1% said neither/both/depends, and 3% don’t know/refused to respond. (Note the percentages are rounded).

World Public Opinion Survey

Moroccan Muslims

-> 76% agreed with the goal “To require a strict application of
    Shari’a law in every Islamic country”; 19% disagreed, 6% don’t know/refused

-> 71% agreed with the goal “To unify all Islamic countries into a single Islamic state or caliphate”; 22% disagreed, 8% don’t know/refused

-> 61% approved of “Attacks on US military troops in Afghanistan”; 14% had mixed feelings, 17% disapproved, 8% don’t know/ refused

-> 64% agreed with keeping “Western values out of Islamic countries”; 21% disagreed, 16% don’t know/refused.

-> 23% agreed that “people of any religion should be free to try to convert members of other religions to join theirs,” 60% disagreed, 18% don’t know refused.
    {Note that persuading a Muslim to leave Islam is illegal in Morocco
    http://selfscholar.wordpress.com/2012/12/19/blasphemy-laws-in-the-middle-east/ }

When Muslims in Morocco and elsewhere are asked if they support free expression, most say yes. However, the problem is that pollsters generally do not ask follow-up questions as to what specific kinds of expressions they think should (or should not) be legally permitted. For example, the vast majority of Pakistani Muslims say they support free speech and would include in their country’s constitution a provision protecting free speech (as noted in the Gallup poll by Esposito and Mogahed). However, 75% of Pakistani Muslims also support that country’s harsh blasphemy laws, and only 6% have objections to those blasphemy laws (18% “don’t know”/refused to respond) see p. 199 of the Pew report.

The Pakistani example above clearly illustrates that simply asking Muslims (or anyone else) broad ambiguous questions about support for free expression can be misleading. Only by asking particular questions about insults to or criticism of Islam, Muhammad, etc., can researchers get some clear idea of what percentages of Muslims support freedom of expression in the modern secular Western sense (i.e., includes freedom to criticize religions and religious figures).

In my brief search, I could not find data on Moroccan Muslims’ opinions of criticism or insult of Islam and Muhammad. However, I did find the following:

“[…] The editor of Morocco’s Al-Ahdath Al-Maghribia daily newspaper, Moktar el-Ghzioui, is living in fear for his life after he expressed support for pre-marital sex during a local television debate.
    “The next thing there was a cleric from Oujda releasing a fatwa that I should die,” he says.
    “I am very scared for myself and my family. It’s a real blow to all the modernists who thought Morocco was moving forward.”
    According to article 490 of the penal code, Moroccans can be jailed for having sexual relations outside marriage. […]”

This highlights the problem that, in many Islamic countries, Muslim clerics publish or broadcast fatwas calling for the death or punishment of individuals who express ideas deemed contrary to Islam, and there are often vigilantes willing to carry out these unofficial directives.

Morocco’s High Council of Ulemas’ Death Sentence Fatwa on Apostates Sparks Controvery
    April 19, 2013

Other Moroccan laws relevant to blasphemy: not allowed to “shake the faith” of Muslims, plus there restrictions on what the media can express about religion.

In the source below, Morocco is listed along with many countries (including European) as having laws against the “defamation of religions.”
    Laws Penalizing Blasphemy, Apostasy and Defamation of Religion are Widespread
    November 21, 2012

• says

And Layla breezily assumes that the MQM are “secular” and relatively harmless Islam-wise.

Even without a shred of data, I feel more rational and intelligent treating the MQM with suspicion equal to that I would treat any obviously “extremist” Islamic group. And, corollary to that, I begin to suspect anyone — whether Muslim, non-Muslim, or ex-Muslim — who claims otherwise.

• says

Hi,

The MQM has nothing to do with Islamic conservatism, or even Islam for that matter politically. The suspicion (though out of good intention) here is verging on conspiracy theories similar to those of Islamic apologists. The MQM has had a pro-US and pro-Free World stance since the its formation. In fact, the party has been unfairly demonized from day 1 by the Pakistani establishment (and the Left-wing Islamist apologist BBC) for its commitment to secularism in a country where religion and politics are insistent on mixing.

• says

Before I can believe that the Muslims who are in the MQM are genuinely secular, I need to see how they rationalize the combination of two things:

1) being a Muslim

2) supporting secularism.

Their rationalization would have to demonstrate how Islam can be harmonized with secularism. If their demonstration of their rationalization doesn’t add up or smells fishy, that will simply confirm my rational prejudice I hold against them in the meantime.

• Nodrog says

I side with voegelinian, Layla. Islam is mental and social poison, a poison that must be eradicated completely, in as benign a way as possible. Islam doesn’t make sense through and through.

Secularism isn’t rationalised by [any form of] Islam by the MQM. MQM officials always argue for secularism through focussing on the religious diversity of Pakistan and Jinnah’s secular vision for Pakistan itself ironically. The officials also focus on the inability of Islam as a religion to bring about one interpretation. MQM’s leader Altaf Hussain – now in self-exile for anti-Islamist stance – always argues, “Which Islam are you going to implement?” when debating Islamists. Most MQM members are obviously Muslim – some religious in nature like my aunt, others not so much. A few at the forefront of the leadership are not practising Muslims at all and everyone in the organisation – even practising Muslims – despise the very idea of Jihad and Islamism. Most Hindus and Chrisitians vote for the MQM in Karachi as it is the only political party to consider them as equal citizens. It also has a very small (but hopefully growing) LGBT wing. MQM is also vocal in its support of the Ahmadiyya sect (heretics according to most Muslims and killed all the time), providing security for them if needed. Recently, the MQM hosted a Sufi Convention in Lahore. Lahore is in Punjab which is the main source of Islamist extremism in Pakistan. Pakistani form of Sufism is a mainstream heresy (advocates human universalism over Muslim exclusivity) and it can be used a force to combat extremism. The Sufi Convention was a success (lots of native music) and women were at the forefront giving speeches in front Islamic scholars from anti-Jihadi sects.

• says

“Secularism isn’t rationalised by [any form of] Islam by the MQM.”

Well, they need to, before they gain my trust.

But it’s highly likely that they don’t rationalize secularism’s harmony with Islam for the simple reason that… it’s impossible. Asking us to trust MQM Muslims is like asking us to trust Nazis whose political program is somehow “not Nazi”.

8. dumbledoresarmy says

Layla – if you have really and truly left Islam, then I am delighted for you.

Are you familiar with the writings of other apostates?

Taslima Nasreen, who is Bengali? Wafa Sultan, who is of Syrian Muslim background and now lives in the USA? – she wrote a book about Islam called “A God Who Hates”. ‘

Have you heard of Ali Sina and his “Faithfreedom” website and forum, or Ibn Warraq and his book “Leaving Islam”? And, of course, Ayaan Hirsi Ali, who wrote “Infidel”, and “Nomad”…and the film she did with Theo Van Gogh, “Submission”. All of these have left Islam for a purely secular western worldview.

There are others who have left Islam for Christianity, and profess themselves much happier in their new, human-friendly faith. Four I know of: Egyptian American Nonie Darwish, author of “Now They Call Me Infidel” and a book on sharia called “Cruel and Usual Punishment”, and three of Pakistani background – Hannah Shah, author of a book “The Imam’s Daughter” (she was born to Pakistani Muslim parents in the UK), Bilquis Sheikh, author of a book called “I Dared to Call Him Father”, and Gulshan Esther, whose little book is called “The Torn Veil”.

I commend to you the “Former Muslims United” website.

Be brave, but be careful and wise. People whom you think of as nice and sweet and kind may turn into something terrifying – even murderous – when they find out about your apostasy.

Here is the text of a radio interview that was done with Ibn Warraq, some years ago. (I have a feeling that he, too, is of Pakistani background).

And an excerpt from another interview with Ibn Warraq, that formed part of an article in the Times in the UK (reporter, Anthony Browne; date of publication February 5 2005) about the very real harassment and threats faced by people who were apostasising from Islam, in the UK. [The link, by now, nine years later, seems to have broken].

“…The most high-profile British apostate is Ibn Warraq, a Pakistani-born intellectual and former teacher from London, who lost his faith after the Salman Rushdie affair and set out his reasons in the book Why I am not a Muslim.

“He recently edited the book Leaving Islam, but finds it hard to explain the hostility. “It’s very strange. **Even the most liberal Muslim can become incredibly fierce if you criticise Islam, or, horror of horrors, leave it.”** [my emphasis – dda}

“He himself has taken the precaution of using only a pseudonym, and lives incognito in mainland Europe. He thinks that Islamic apostasy is common. “In Western societies, it is probably 10-15 per cent. It’s very difficult to tell, because people don’t admit it.””

Layla – see what Ibn Warraq says there (and he should know, he’s an apostate himself, and I think he is of Pakistani background)? –

“Even the most liberal Muslim can become incredibly fierce if you criticise Islam, or, horror of horrors, leave it.”

Think very seriously about where you are going to live, what you are going to do, how you are going to support yourself. When Patrick Sookhdeo’s family found out he had become a Christian, in Britain, they threw him out in the street that day – he was 19. And be very careful about whom you tell of what you now believe, or rather, do not believe, until you know you are somewhere safe.

Anyway: I myself am a Christian, and I have prayed for your protection and for your complete liberation from every trace of Islamic cult brainwashing/ programming.

9. RodSerling says

dda,

Re Ibn Warraq’s background, he talks about it in this video:

(my notes of a few of the highlights that caught my interest as an atheist)

5:00 approx starts talking about his background
    -childhood -from India, moved to Karachi, then to England
    34:00-studied Arabic, Persian, and Islamic Civilization, at Edinburgh
    -studied under Montgomery Watt
    36:20 – background for “Why I am not a Muslim” and response to the Rushdie Affair
    41:00 Trevor-Roper says he wouldn’t be troubled if violent attacks were carried out against Rushdie*
    -Roald Dahl blames Rushdie for being irresponsible
    44:00 Germaine Greer calls Rushdie an “Englishman with dark skin,” and says “jail is a good place for writers”
    47:10 opens question period
    58:10 Pat Robertson is “a pussy cat” compared to the Ayatollah
    58:20 “I am an atheist”, also implied at 39:00
    58:30 Algeria, 150000 people killed by Islamists in Algeria
    59:30 “no equivalence” between Muslim extremists and Christian ones

*also see Rushdie, writing a kind of eulogy on Hitchens, with mention of the Ayatollah’s fatwa:

“The spectacle of a despotic cleric with antiquated ideas issuing a death warrant for a writer living in another country, and then sending death squads to carry out the edict, changed something in Christopher. It made him understand that a new danger had been unleashed upon the earth, that a new totalizing ideology had stepped into the down-at-heel shoes of Soviet Communism. And when the brute hostility of British and American conservatives (Podhoretz and Krauthammer, Hugh Trevor-Roper and Paul Johnson) joined forces with the appeasement politics of sections of the Western left, and both sides began to offer sympathetic analyses of the assault, his outrage grew. In the eyes of the Right, I was a cultural “traitor” and, in Christopher’s words, an “uppity wog,” and in the opinion of the Left, the People could never be wrong, and the cause of the Oppressed People, a category into which the Islamist opponents of my novel fell, was doubly justified. Voices as diverse as the Pope, the Cardinal of New York, the British Chief Rabbi, and John Berger and Germaine Greer “understood the insult” and failed to be outraged; and Christopher went to war. ”

10. RodSerling says

p.s. I should add that I addressed the “moderate Morocco” apologetic line, above, because of this statement in Layla’s piece:

“Moroccans were not terribly religious, and were, for the most part, secular-minded. Though there are human rights abuses and Shias & Christians face discrimination, the King has done a great job of controlling Islam within Morocco, empowering women, which makes it one of the most stable Muslim-majority states today.”

The first quoted sentence contains a generalization that is contradicted by the data. I therefore took the opportunity to refresh my memory, and check out some more info. I didn’t have time to get too far, but the facts I cited should suffice to make the point in a comment thread.

What we really need, of course, is a fact bank with all the relevant statistics for each Muslim country, and for each non-Muslim country’s Muslim population.

• says

Layla is right that the Moroccan King helped to curtail the inherent beast of Islam; but her implied inference that this reflects on the generalization of a putatively existing Demos of a Majority of Lax Muslims in Morocco (and where else is she also supposing such a demographic in the Muslim world?) is the flaw in her ointment. The fact of certain Strong Men in the Muslim world — King Mohammed V of Morocco, the Bourguibas of Tunisia, Mubarrak of Egypt, Assad of Syria, the Shahs of Iran, the gold standard of all this, Ataturk of post-Caliphate post-Ottoman Turkey — from time to time in varying degrees and varying flavors of corruption exerting their authoritarian control to tame the beast of Islam in the Muslim People under the rule of their regime have all been toppled by People’s Revolutions (first the Iranian Popular Revolution of 1979, more recently the “Arab Spring”, in Turkey an ongoing attempt at a “Palace Revolution”) are evidence not of some kind of health of laxity among the Muslim People, but quite the opposite: all these Strong Men in varying degrees of autocratic (if not at times dictatorial) control were keeping Islam down by keeping Muslim people down — for that’s where Islam’s flame burns and flares out: amongst Muslims.

You can take the cowgirl out of the country, but you can’t take the “country” out of the cowgirl; here, we see signs of taking the girl out of Islam, but residues of Islam still not exorcized from the girl, in her knee-jerk defense of Muslim People.

11. onisac says

These are the articles we all need to read and learn about. Without these kinds of articles it all seems over whelming. I also believe there should be a safe means to apostate. But all apostates need to be screened, so that we are not helping moles.

My prayer is that one day there will be thousands of apostates daily. Then grow to be millions yearly. That is a peaceful way to solve these problems. We all need to hear good news with the horrible news.

I hope we can agree on that….

12. gravenimage says

“My name is Layla Murad. I left Islam in April 2013.”
    ………………………….

Bravo, Layla!

Just be cautious with your family—even though they consider themselves moderate Muslims, it is notable that faced with apostasy, many Muslims turn out to be *anything* but moderate.

13. Mazo says

Voegenelian, you do not think that any non-westerner, regardless of their religion, would take extreme offense at the insults directed at non-western peoples?

This has nothing to do with religion but a response to colonial arrogance. I guarantee you that there are many Hindus who also take offence at your “criticisms” if you applied it to them.

Layla can see through your BS.

“The suspicion (though out of good intention) here is verging on conspiracy theories similar to those of Islamic apologists

JihadWatch and John Esposito are two sides of the same coin- each receives money from their respective sponsor to spout a political agenda.

Layla, I sincerely wish you well and advise you to avoid working for people who will try to use you for an agenda, political or otherwise. Your credibility can be severly damaged by doing so.

Defend what you think- what you know is right, and don’t listen to the critics claiming its some “residue of Islam” in you.

Some people on here like PhilipJihadski openly admit that they actively hate Muslims, not just Islam, while the others are more subtle. The fact that they defend each other tells you alot.

• gravenimage says

The nasty troll “Mazo” wrote:

………………………………

What rot. This has nothing to do with “non-western peoples”, and *everything* to do with Islam.

• Mazo says

Actually I’m glad voegelinian and PhilipJihadski are saying the things that they say, because Layla immediately sensed something was amiss with you people after reading voegelinian’s comment.

Just as Europeans don’t want other people changing their culture and religion and sticking their noses into their internal affairs, the non-western world wants the same.

I say European, because you North Americans, Australians, and New Zealanders already stole and occupied native America, Aboriginal, Hawaiian, and Maori lands and changed their cultures and religions.

Layla already made her decision on her own life and religion and doesn’t need unhelpful “advice” from people who know nothing about her people or family.

• gravenimage says

More rot from “Mazo”, who has a long and sordid history here of obfuscation and false moral equivalence regarding the savagery of Jihad.

• says

I wasn’t “advising” Layla.

I also didn’t mention anything about Western colonialism nor of non-Western peoples other than Muslims.

Mazo is really grasping at straws — and strawmen.

14. RodSerling says

Layla might like to converse with Shakila, another ex-Muslim whose writings were published here at JW. Glad to see Shakila is still around. Many of us worried what happened to her.

Posted in Layla’s comment section:
    “Shakila Khan · March 26, 2014 – 10:48 pm · Reply→
    Hi Layla, I am also an ex Muslim and you can check out my life story on my blog
    liberatednow.blogspot.com “

15. RodSerling says

Re the Murabitun, discussed in Layla’s article (“Shaykh Abd al-Qadir was a Scottish actor and playwright, initially called Ian Dallas”), I had this one file:

“The first and delightful command to the young Muslim men of Britain is this: finish with the lucrative trade of the Imams, I mean, the imported bride-market, and recognise that your strength lies in becoming the dominant presence inside a society that is in terminal decline. Marry out. Not only that, but take on the responsibility and generous gift of Allah, glory be to Him, to both men and women permitting families with from one to four wives.”

16. dumbledoresarmy says

For anyone new to this site and this subject, who may have stumbled in here: the two definitive studies of the Islamic law on apostasy – that is, that anyone who leaves or tries to leave Islam must be killed – comprise American scholar Samuel Zwemer’s “The Law of Apostasy in Islam” and ex-Muslim Patrick Sookhdeo’s “Freedom to Believe: Challenging Islam’s Apostasy Law”.

Both examine in a clear and scholarly fashion the Islamic canonical texts from which the rule is derived, as well as the ways it has been historically interpreted and applied, and give lots of real-life examples – from their own extensive experience and observation of Muslims and Muslim societies – how it works out in practice.

Zwemer’s book can be read in its entirety online, for free.

Sookhdeo’s book is available for a very reasonable price, in paperback.

If you know nothing at all about Islam, know this: that it is like the Mafia, if you leave it, you are supposed to be killed, and Muslims will go to quite considerable lengths to fulfil that command. For the rest of her life Layla Murad – even if she is able to settle somewhere in the free world – will have to look over her shoulder for fear of the sharia hitmen coming to kill her for having had the temerity to jump ship from the Ummah, or Mohammedan Mob.

Here’s a quote from canonical Islamic scripture, one of the Sahih “reliable” Hadith collections.

Sahih Bukhari, Volume 4, Book 52, Number 260:
Narrated Ikrima:
Ali burnt some people and this news reached Ibn ‘Abbas, who said, “Had I been in his place I would not have burnt them, as the Prophet said, ‘Don’t punish (anybody) with Allah’s Punishment.’ No doubt, I would have killed them, for **the Prophet said, ‘If somebody (a Muslim) discards his religion, kill him.’ “** {my emphasis – dda}.

17. raselboy gadnup says

well, for us Moslems, apostasy, have had been ordered, and is being ordered on us by our dear Prophet Muhammad that shall be implemented at all cost. Besides, if ever this is wrong in the eyes of True God – at least i gamble betting my soul in consonance to a Prophet order whom i revered it most and more dearly to me than myself… rather than despising apostasy in accordance to your wild imagination.