Why just two years? Do the Germans really think that by two years down the line, these battle-hardened warriors of Allah will have forgotten all about jihad? If they went to Syria to wage jihad in order to impose Sharia, they want it in Europe as well. They should not be allowed back at all.
"Germany calls for two-year ban on Europeans returning to the EU from Syria over fears suspected Islamists will come back as 'homegrown terrorists,'" by Kerry Mcdermott in the Daily Mail, May 17 (thanks to Block Ness):
Germany has called for Europeans fighting the Assad regime in Syria to be temporarily barred from re-entering the EU - amid fears they could return as 'homegrown terrorists'. The German government has claimed as many as 700 Europeans have joined opposition forces fighting President Bashar al-Assad's soldiers, and warned militant Islamists could pose a threat upon returning to the EU from the battlefields of Syria.
Now the country, which has said it is aware of up to 40 people who have left Germany for Syria since the summer of 2012, wants to see suspected Islamists banned from re-entering the EU from Syria for two years.
Germany's interior minister, Hans-Peter Friedrich, is expected to address the controversial suggestion at a meeting of EU governments next month, according to a report in the Guardian.
Officials at the ministry said that of 6,000 foreign militants believed to be fighting the Assad regime, between 400 and 700 are European.
Fighters could not be prevented from leaving Germany in the first place because it was impossible to prove they were going to Syria, the ministry said, adding that while passports could be confiscated, it was possible to travel to the Syrian border with just an ID card.
It is not clear how the proposed ban would be enforced, as the individuals involved would likely have EU passports as well as jobs and families in the countries concerned.
Up to 60 militants have also left Germany for Egypt, the interior ministry said.
'Most have joined the Islamists. The dangers are growing for us,' a senior official was quoted as saying.
A survey by King's College London found last month that up to 600 individuals from countries including the UK, Spain, Sweden and Germany had taken part in the Syrian conflict since the war erupted in 2011. The largest contingent was from the UK.