From AFP, :
Spanish police think they have identified six Moroccans as the bombers who blew up four commuter trains in Madrid last week, the influential newspaper El Pais said today.
Five of the men are still at large but the sixth, Jamal Zougam, is among a group of suspects arrested at the weekend.
Zougam was recognised by two passengers of one of the trains that was bombed Thursday morning. Two hundred people died and nearly 1,500 others were wounded when the bombs exploded during morning rush-hour.
El Pais did not give the identity of the other five men who are wanted for questioning. Police believe that other nationalities could be part of the group that carried out the attacks, said the paper.
Citing unnamed anti-terrorist sources, the paper said that a Jordanian national, Abu Mussab al-Zarqawi could be the mastermind behind the attacks.
Zarqawi, one of Washington’s prime suspects in a string of bomb attacks in Iraq, is suspected of maintaining ties with the al-Qaeda network. A reward for information leading to his capture has recently doubled to $10 million.
Investigators also believe that a video tape in which an unidentified man has claimed responsibility for the train bombings in the name of al-Qaeda, is authentic, El Pais added. The video, found in a rubbish bin near a Madrid mosque late Saturday, featured a man speaking Arabic who said: “We claim responsibility for what happened in Madrid just two and a half years after the attacks in New York and Washington.