Powell: “We are concerned. The threat level has gone up”
More attacks coming, as the mujahedin continue to try to compel the House of Saud to choose between the United States and the jihad they have financed so long and so well.
WASHINGTON (Reuters) The United States ordered nonessential diplomats out of Saudi Arabia on Thursday and warned all Americans they should leave, citing fresh signals that attacks are planned on U.S. and Western interests.
The decision requires the families of all diplomats at the U.S. Embassy in Riyadh and consulates in Jeddah and Dhahran to leave the kingdom, which is battling a wave of violence believed linked to Osama bin Laden’s al Qaeda network.
At least 50 people died last year in suicide bomb attacks on housing compounds in Riyadh and on Tuesday suspected Muslim militants killed four Saudi police officers at checkpoints soon after security forces defused two car bombs in the capital.
“The U.S. government has received recent and credible information indicating that extremists are planning further attacks against U.S. and Western interests,” the State Department said in a travel warning.
“The Department of State warns U.S. citizens to defer travel to Saudi Arabia. Private American citizens currently in Saudi Arabia are strongly urged to depart,” it added.
“We are concerned. The threat level has gone up,” Secretary of State Colin Powell told reporters.