A report from Israel National News detailing the utter moral corruption of the UN.
Peter Hansen, the Commissioner-General of UNRWA in Gaza, told the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation two days ago that some UNRWA workers are Hamas terrorists. “I am sure that there are Hamas members on the UNRWA payroll,” Hansen said, adding, “I don’t see that as a crime… We do not do political vetting and exclude people from one persuasion as against another.”
Hansen attempted to draw a distinction between ‘political’ and ‘militant’ Hamas members. Both the United States and the European Union do not accept this distinction, however, and have outlawed or blacklisted all branches of Hamas and have frozen all Hamas assets.
“Despite the gravity of this matter,” HonestReporting.com reported yesterday, “Hansen’s admission that Hamas members are on the UN payroll has – as of now – received scant media attention. The Associated Press, for example, buried Hansen’s statement in an article that focused primarily on IDF air strikes, and the New York Times has yet to even acknowledge Hansen’s admission. This error of omission is particularly troubling in light of Israel’s ongoing campaign in Gaza to stop Hamas from firing rockets into Israeli towns such as Sderot.”
Israel has admitted that its latest accusation against UNRWA – to the effect that a Palestinian terrorist was filmed loading a Kassam rocket onto a UN ambulance van – is probably not true. The object seen being loaded onto the van was most likely a stretcher, IDF sources now say. Hansen demands a clear Israeli apology.
Israel insists, however, that Hansen is not the impartial observer his job description mandates. In the wake of the 2002 Jenin operation, Hansen was one of those who falsely accused Israel of having perpetrated a massacre. He used terms at the time such as, ‘wholesale obliteration… a human catastrophe that has few parallels in recent history,’ ‘helicopters… strafing civilian residential areas,’ and ‘bodies… piling up’ in ‘mass graves.’ HonestReporting.com notes that Hansen even claimed to have seen some of the alleged carnage with his own eyes.
Armed Palestinians were filmed in May of this year using UNRWA ambulances to transport terrorists. Other documented UNRWA violations of its neutrality:
* Sept. 2003: After the Israeli military court convicted three UNRWA employees for terrorist activities, Israel detained at least 16 other UNRWA staff members for various security-related matters.
* Dec. 2002: An Israeli intelligence report indicated that numerous UNRWA facilities in Judea, Samaria and Gaza had been used by Palestinian terrorists as meeting grounds and for weapons storage.
* Sept. 2002: Nahd Attala, a senior official of UNRWA in Gaza, revealed that in June-July 2002, he used his UNRWA car for the transportation of armed Fatah members on their way to carry out a missile attack against Jewish communities. In addition, Nahd said he used an UNRWA car to transport a 12-kg. explosive charge for his brother-in-law, a Fatah member.
* August 2002: Nidal Nazzal, a Hamas member and ambulance driver employed by UNRWA, confessed to transporting weapons and explosives in an UNRWA ambulance. He said he had taken advantage of the freedom of movement he enjoyed as part of his UNRWA job to transmit messages among Hamas members in various PA-controlled towns.
* February 2002: Ala Muhammad Ali Hassan, a Tanzim member, confessed to having carried out a sniper shooting from the school run by UNRWA in the al-Ayn refugee camp near Nablus. He also told his interrogators that bombs intended for terrorist attacks were being manufactured inside the UNRWA school’s facilities.