“Kuwaiti ‘cell’ planned to hit joint exercise; ‘Two to three’ still held,” from Arab Times, with thanks to Twostellas:
KUWAIT CITY (Agencies): Staunch US ally Kuwait uncovered a cell in its army that was plotting to attack American and other foreign forces in the country, the defence minister said Tuesday, amid suspicions the group could be linked to al-Qaeda. “It was the coalition forces and certainly the American army targetted because it is the largest,” Sheikh Jaber Al-Mubarak Al-Sabah told AFP. “The number of those (still) arrested are two to three people,” he said, a day after Kuwait announced it was questioning an undisclosed number of soldiers planning to attack “friendly forces” in the country. Kuwaiti authorities are investigating “suspicions” that the soldiers could be linked to al-Qaeda, the minister said, declining at this stage to associate the suspects with the terror network.
“As long as it is under investigation, we cannot say this. No, I don’t say al-Qaeda (for sure) as long as there is an interrogation going on,” the minister said when asked if the group had links to al-Qaeda. Kuwaiti military personnel detained last week for plotting attacks against US troops had planned to strike during joint exercises, a security source said on Tuesday. “The group had intentions to attack foreign forces during training with the Kuwaiti army,” the source said. “They are now being interrogated by military intelligence.”