From the New Duranty Times:
LONDON – Less than a month before the London bombings, Britain’s top intelligence and law enforcement officials concluded that “at present there is not a group with both the current intent and the capability to attack the U.K.,” according to a confidential terror threat assessment report.
The previously undisclosed report was sent to British government agencies, foreign governments and corporations in mid-June, about three weeks before a team of four British suicide bombers mounted their July 7 attack on London’s public transportation system.
The assessment by the Joint Terrorist Analysis Center prompted the British government to lower its formal threat assessment one level, from “severe defined” to “substantial.” The center includes officials from Britain’s top intelligence agencies, as well as its police forces and Customs.
Asked to comment on the document, a senior British official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said, “We do not discuss intelligence assessments.”
British officials said the reduced threat level had no practical impact on terrorism preventive measures, and the British home secretary said it did not make Britain more vulnerable to attack.
The tersely worded threat assessment was particularly surprising because it stated that terrorist-related activity in Britain was a direct result of violence in Iraq.
“Events in Iraq are continuing to act as motivation and a focus of a range of terrorist related activity in the U.K.,” said the report, a copy of which was made available by a foreign intelligence service and was not disputed by four senior British officials who were asked about it…