A Moroccan who was given asylum in Britain and named in British media as a suspect in last week’s London bombings has told Aljazeera that he is innocent and not on the run.
“I am not hiding and I am not a terrorist,” said Muhammad al-Guerbouzi, speaking from London.
British media have reported that British investigators asked their European counterparts, including Europol, to search for al-Guerbouzi, 44, but Europol spokesman Rainer Wenning declined to comment on the reports.
“These are all lies. They have made up this story,” al-Guerbouzi said in the interview aired late on Saturday night. He accused someone at the Moroccan embassy in London whom he refused to name of being behind the allegations that he had links to groups described as terrorist.
Al-Guerbouzi was convicted in absentia in his native Morocco in 2003 and sentenced to 20 years in prison in connection with bombings that killed 33 bystanders and 12 bombers in Casablanca two years ago…