Australian authorities have been tightlipped concerning the target of the attack which was apparently thwarted by arrests made last week. Now, we may know, from Reuters:
Eight Sydney men arrested on terrorism charges may have been planning a bomb attack against the city’s nuclear reactor, police said on Monday.
Their Islamic spiritual leader, also charged with terrorism offences, told the men if they wanted to die for jihad they should inflict “maximum damage,” according to a 21-page police court document.
The document outlines how the men, arrested last week in the nation’s biggest security swoop, bought chemicals used in the London July 7 bombs, had bomb-making instructions in Arabic and videos entitled “Sheikh Osama’s Training Course” and “Are you ready to die?”
Under the heading “Targets,” police said three of the men were stopped near Sydney’s Lucas Heights nuclear reactor in December 2004. A security gate lock had recently been cut.