Eurabia update from Dawn, with thanks to Twostellas:
ISLAMABAD, Dec 1: Islam is the true guardian of women rights, a Judge from Liverpool, United, Ms Marilyn Morington, said here on Thursday. She was speaking at a seminar on “Violence against Women and Criminal Justice System: Challenge and Response”, organized by the Parliamentarians Commission for Human Rights (PCHR) in collaboration with the Islamabad police.
The judge cited verses from the Holy Quran and referred to the Sunnah of Prophet Muhammad (Peace Be Upon Him) and said: “Islam is a religion which lays emphasis on giving the women their due rights.”
Their “due rights.” Evidently not “equal” rights — unless some key sections of the Qur’an were ignored. The Qur’an, after all:
Well, we have been here before. The Qur’an, after all:
- Likens a woman to a field (tilth), to be used by a man as he wills: “Your women are a tilth for you (to cultivate) so go to your tilth as ye will” (2:223);
- Declares that a woman’s testimony is worth half that of a man: “Get two witnesses, out of your own men, and if there are not two men, then a man and two women, such as ye choose, for witnesses, so that if one of them errs, the other can remind her” (2:282);
- Allows men to marry up to four wives, and have sex with slave girls also: “If ye fear that ye shall not be able to deal justly with the orphans, marry women of your choice, two or three or four; but if ye fear that ye shall not be able to deal justly (with them), then only one, or (a captive) that your right hands possess, that will be more suitable, to prevent you from doing injustice” (4:3);
- Rules that a son’s inheritance should be twice the size of that of a daughter: “Allah (thus) directs you as regards your children’s (inheritance): to the male, a portion equal to that of two females” (4:11);
- Tells husbands to beat their disobedient wives: “Men are in charge of women, because Allah hath made the one of them to excel the other, and because they spend of their property (for the support of women). So good women are the obedient, guarding in secret that which Allah hath guarded. As for those from whom ye fear rebellion, admonish them and banish them to beds apart, and scourge them” (4:34).