Showing no sign of taking any responsibility for the spread of “extremism” among Canadian Muslims, the Canadian Islamic Congress is blaming the Canadian government for not showering enough money on the problem:
“ZERO DOLLARS” SPENT ON PROACTIVE “SMART INTEGRATION” PROGRAMS SAYS CIC
SPENDING ONLY ON LAW AND ORDER IS NOT ENOUGH — PM’s US AND THEM STATEMENT IS IRRESPONSIBLE
Following a wave of arrests overnight on June 3 that led to more than a dozen Toronto-area men and teens being held on charges of suspected terrorism, the Canadian Islamic Congress issued a statement saying:
1. All suspects involved in the current investigation — those now arrested and any who may yet be charged — must be treated as innocent until proven guilty;
2. If and when any individuals are proven guilty under Canadian anti- terrorism legislation, then they are criminals. Canada’s 750,000 Muslims should not be made guilty-by-association, either in the Canadian media or through any public pronouncements;
3. We praise today’s statements by CSIS, RCMP and the Mayor of Toronto for putting today’s arrests into proper context as criminal activities by suspects;
4. It is irresponsible for our Prime Minster to paint today’s arrests as a battle between “us” and “them”. Such statement puts all Canadian Muslims in great danger;
5. Governments, both federal and provincial, must fund legitimate academic research to diagnose this serious social problem and provide scientific solutions to it.
Today’s CIC statement elaborated saying:
“There is no solid social science research that details why and how imported extremist ideologies are finding their way to some vulnerable Canadian Muslim youth. Zero dollars were spent by governments to investigate and follow up on such disturbing trends.”
“The Canadian Muslim community is law-abiding and loyal, but we have been up front in recognizing that no group is without problems,” the statement continued.
“We at CIC have initiated a nation-wide Smart Integration program and need more help from Canadian academic researchers to scientifically diagnose problems and devise solutions.
“But our governments have refused to share in the cost of research that could benefit all Canadians. They have said, in effect, ‘this is your problem, you solve it.’ . . . This is a short-sighted attitude. If other social problems, such as the high rate of crime among inner city youth, received millions of dollars in research funding over the past decade, why are proactive Muslim initiatives being ignored?”
Ignored? Really? Every day I see an immense thirst among the media and government officials to find moderate, anti-terror Muslims. I see people being trumpeted as moderates whose moderation or effectiveness is more than a little questionable. And now the CIC is saying that proactive Muslim anti-terror initiatives have been ignored? And what initiatives would those be?