Evidently, it’s only “terrorism” when it’s directed against the Indonesian President. First, there’s “Indonesian President urges vigilance against terrorism,” from AFP, with thanks to DFS:
JAKARTA – Islamic extremists, led by a fugitive Malaysian, are still planning attacks in Indonesia, President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono warned Wednesday.
“In 2006, so far we can be thankful because our country has not suffered any terrorism attacks. But this… should not make us drop our guard and become less vigilant,” he said in his annual state-of-the-nation address.
Indonesia has been the target of a series of deadly terror attacks, most recently a triple suicide bombing on Bali which killed 20 bystanders. The worst attack hit the resort island in October 2002 and claimed 202 lives.
The attacks have been blamed on the Al-Qaeda-linked Jemaah Islamiyah (JI) network, though some militants — including Malaysians Azahari Husin and Noordin Mohammad Top — were believed to have split to form an even more hardline group….
Then there’s this: “Men in Bali blast get sentences reduced,” from AP, with thanks to Twostellas:
JAKARTA, Indonesia – An Islamic militant convicted in the 2002 Bali bombings was released from prison Thursday and 11 others jailed for minor roles had their sentences reduced to mark Indonesia’s independence day, officials said.
It is an Indonesian tradition to cut jail terms on holidays, but the decision was expected to anger countries that lost citizens in the twin nightclub attacks that killed 202 people, many of them foreign tourists.
Family members of some of the victims said they were pained by the news.
Three militants serving time in East Kalimantan’s capital of Balikpapan received reductions of four months, paving the way for one, Puryanto, to walk free on Thursday, said Edi, a prison official who uses a single name.
Nine other men imprisoned on Bali island had their sentences cut by four months, said justice ministry official Djoko Bambang Untung.
“This shows that the Indonesians aren’t serious about fighting terrorism,” said Australian Brian Deegan, who lost his 21-year-old son Josh in the bombings.
Thirty-three people were jailed over the blasts blamed on the al-Qaida-linked militant group Jemaah Islamiyah.