LUCKNOW, India – Soldiers were on 24-hour guard at the Taj Mahal after officials received a letter threatening to blow up the monument, officials said Friday.
Authorities were investigating a handwritten letter received Thursday “” purportedly sent by an al-Qaida supporter “” that said the terrorist group planned blasts at the 17th century monument, which drew nearly 2.5 million tourists last year.
“Police are verifying the source of the letter,” said Ashok Kumar, a senior government official in Uttar Pradesh state where the Taj Mahal is located. “The letter could be false but we cannot afford to be complacent. We are not taking any chances and have enhanced security at the Taj.”