A man has been accused of plotting to kidnap and kill a member of the British Armed Forces, the Crown Prosecution Service said today.
Four other men have been charged with terrorism offences following a series of raids in Birmingham last week.
Parviz Khan, 36, was charged with plotting to kidnap and kill.
Mohammed Irfan, 30, Zahoor Iqbal, 29, Hamid Elasmar, 43, and Amjad Mahmood, 31, were charged with various terrorism offences.
The five men, all from Birmingham, are due to appear at City of Westminster Magistrates in London today.
The head of the CPS counter terrorism division, Sue Hemming, said Khan is accused of giving “effect to his intention to kidnap and kill a member of the British armed forces” between Nov 1 last year and the time of his arrest last week.
The Telegraph didn’t want to come out and say it, but one expects that the accused are not Church of Englanders.
After two of the men were released last week, the local Muslim community accused the police of stirring up racial tension.
One of the released men, Abu Bakr, later said: “These laws are designed specifically for Muslims. We are feeling the brunt of it all. We are the ones that are being locked up, detained, and then told to go back to our lives.”
Mr Bakr told BBC2″s Newsnight the episode would live with him for the rest of his life.
Well, Mr Abu Bakr, apologies from Her Majesty’s government, but we expect you’ll cope. Better having to live down this “episode” than a serviceman losing his head.