A sign of things to come in modern, moderate Indonesia. “Indonesia: People Trust Clerics More Than The President, Says Survey,” from AKI, with thanks to Sr. Soph:
Jakarta, 16 May (AKI/Jakarta Post) – Politicians have never been regarded as the most popular of people, and a recent leadership survey by the Islamic and Societal Research Center (PPIM) in Indonesia would seem to suggest that nothing has changed. The survey, which ran from January through March this year, revealed that Indonesians trusted their religious leaders more than any other individual or institution, including the president.
“Our survey shows that 41 percent of respondents say that they trust the country’s religious leaders, while an equal 22 percent of them lay their trust with the president and the Indonesian military,” PPIM executive chairman Jajat Burhanuddin told a media conference, as quoted by detik.com news portal.
“Another 16 percent say they can trust the police institution, and an equal 11 percent trust the People’s Consultative Assembly and the House of Representatives. And only 8 percent of the respondents said they trust the political parties,” he added.
The survey questioned 200 respondents between 16 and 70 years of age. Some 42 percent of them lived in the cities, and the remaining 58 percent in villages.
Jajat said the survey showed that religious factors played a more significant role than politics.
Prominent Muslim scholar Azyumardi Azra said the survey also pinpointed the fact that the state institution was weaker than religious ones. “Our state institution is on a declining trend.”
Hmmm. Why is that?