“New Islamist Video Threatens Germany, Austria,” from Deutsche Welle:
German Interior Minister Wolfgang SchÃ¤uble has said his government is taking seriously a new threat contained in an Islamist video demanding that Germany and Austria pull their troops out of Afghanistan.
In the video received by the Austrian broadcasting corporation ORF on Tuesday,
Nov. 20, a previously unknown group calling itself the Global Islamic Media Front indirectly threatened attacks in Germany and Austria if the two states do not pull their
troops from Afghanistan.
It also demanded that Austria release two Islamists held in detention there.
Austrian Interior Ministry spokesperson Rudolf Gollia said the roughly four-minute-long video was predominantly focused on Germany and that Austria was mentioned
toward the end.
“The German soldiers still occupy Afghanistan and we repeat our call from the
last video that Germany withdraw its troops from Afghanistan,” the video’s German subtitles
say. “This only serves your own security in your country.
We’ve heard that before. But would it be… “A lasting peace?”
“The same applies to Austria too. The Mujahideen have spared you so far,
therefore the number of dead soldiers is not particularly high. But this will now change…”
Germany has some 3,000 troops in Afghanistan as part of the ISAF mission. Three Austrian soldiers serve as part of ISAF in Kabul.
No immediate threat
“There is no identifiable, immediate threat, but nevertheless such a message needs to be taken seriously,” the ministry’s Rudolf Gollia said. Austria has not raised security levels for government members depicted in the video.
Gollia said the video also mentions the arrest of two alleged Islamic militants in September in Vienna over another Online threat, calling their detention a “mistake.”