“Police and witnesses said two went off in dustbins in and around Connaught Place, a shopping and dining area popular with tourists and locals in the centre of the city. Others exploded in busy markets around the city, within minutes of each other.”
“Seven bombs explode in Indian capital, at least 18 killed,” from Reuters, September 13:
NEW DELHI – At least seven bombs exploded in the heart of India’s capital New Delhi on Saturday, killing at least eighteen people and injuring more than 80 others, local television said.
Police and witnesses said two went off in dustbins in and around Connaught Place, a shopping and dining area popular with tourists and locals in the centre of the city. Others exploded in busy markets around the city, within minutes of each other.
‘The blasts were caused by bombs,’ Rajan Bhagat, Delhi police spokesman said.
One exploded in a newly constructed park in the centre of the Connaught Place roundabout, built above one of the main stations of the Delhi Metro. Another went off in a dustbin near a metro station entrance on a main arterial road leading into the area.
‘Around 6:30 pm we heard a very loud noise, then we saw people running all over the place,’ said Chanchal Kumar, a witness whose shirt was soaked in blood of several victims he had helped shift into ambulances.
‘There were about 100-200 people around this place,’ he said, adding the blast site was crowded.
Other injured people were carried away in police vans while a three-wheeler auto-rickshaw parked near one dustbin was badly damaged, witnesses said.
‘It was a huge blast,’ said another witness, Sanjeev Gole. ‘I was around the corner from the road. I came running down and I saw at least four to five people lying on the road.’
Bhagat said at least 80 people had been injured but said police were still collecting details….
More information: “New Delhi blasts kill 3, injure dozens,” from CNN, September 13:
NEW DELHI, India (CNN) — A string of explosions ripped through busy marketplaces in New Delhi on Saturday, killing at least three and injuring dozens of others, local officials said.
CNN-IBN, CNN’s sister network in India, said it received an e-mail from the Indian Mujahideen warning of an impending strike.
The explosions ripped through the Karol Bagh market, Kailash Market and Connaught Place — a popular tourist destination.
Indian Mujahideen claimed responsibility for more than a dozen blasts that struck the western Indian city of Ahmedabad in July, killing 15 and wounded 100 others.
The blasts struck within about an hour of each other within a six-mile (10 km) radius.
Indian Mujahideen also claimed responsibility in May for near-simultaneous bomb attacks that killed 63 people in the northwest city of Jaipur.
In the Jaipur claim, the group declared “open war” against India in retaliation for what it said were 60 years of Muslim persecution and the country’s support of United States’ policies.
More on that can be found here.