Under pressure from the Mayor of New York, not because of some newly discovered concern for the American people and a desire not to give a propaganda platform to America’s enemies. “Trial for 9/11 mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed won’t happen in New York City, says official,” by Kenneth R. Bazinet, Wil Cruz and Samuel Goldsmith for the New York Daily News, January 29 (thanks to all who sent this in):
The White House has abandoned its plan to hold the 9/11 terror trial in lower Manhattan after a wave of protests from New York to Washington, it was reported Friday night.
The decision to scrap the downtown terror trial capped weeks of escalating criticism from business and community leaders and came two days afer [sic] Mayor Bloomberg reversed course and came out against the plan.
“New York is out,” an administration official told the Washington Post Friday night. “We’re considering other options.”
Bloomberg first backed the idea of trying alleged 9/11 mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed in downtown’s federal courthouse when the decision was announced by Attorney General Eric Holder last month.
Bloomberg bowed to complaints from opponents who feared the security burdens and cost would damage local business for years to come and expose the city to a possible retaliatory terror attack.
The mayor called Holder on Thursday to ask the Justice Department reconsider holding the trial in the city. Hours later, the White House directed the department to explore other venues.
Before Friday night’s decision was apparent, Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly credited Bloomberg with derailing the plan.
“Political leaders were concerned about it, but it wasn’t until the mayor made that statement that the White House reacted,” Kelly said. “It’s the right decision for the city.”…
Uh, yeah. It always was.