Milan, 2 March (AKI) – Italian magistrates on Tuesday issued new terrorism charges against a Libyan immigrant suspected of setting off a bomb outside a military barracks in the northern Italian city of Milan last October. Mohammed Game will now be charged with an act of terrorism using an explosive device.
Game was arrested after the blast on 12 October last year and charged with attempting to carry out a massacre and carrying and making explosive devices.
Both he and an Italian soldier were injured in the blast, and Game has been in custody ever since.
Thirty-five-year-old Game was reported to have exploded a home-made bomb hidden inside a toolbox at the entrance of Milan’s Santa Barbara barracks.
He allegedly entered the courtyard of the barracks on foot, where he was confronted by a military guard.
Game is then accused of detonating the rudimentary explosives, which were reportedly made of solid nitrate.
An Italian soldier was slightly injured and Game lost a hand and his eyesight in the attack.
The toolbox where he allegedly hid the bomb was said to have contained two more kilogrammes of explosives, and according to reports, it only partially detonated.
Had the entire load detonated, there would definitely have been deaths, investigators said.
Two more North African suspects were arrested in mid-October in connection with the bombing after police questioned Game’s family.
The Egyptian suspect, named as Abdel Hady Abdelaziz Mahmoud Kol, allegedly helped Game reach the barracks.
The Libyan suspect, named as Mohamaed Imbaeya Israfel, allegedly helped Game to obtain explosives.
Game attended Milan’s Viale Jenner Mosque and had lived in Italy for many years. He has an Italian partner and three children.
He complied a ‘dossier’ containing information on Italian prime minister Silvio Berlusconi and other government ministers, the Italian investigative weekly L’Espresso reported last November.