This is simple common sense, since the mosque developers have once again been shown to be operating under false pretenses. But common sense has, of course, been in short supply lately among New York politicians. “Lazio: Let’s pull plug on mosque,” by Chuck Bennett and Isabel Vincent in the New York Post, August 9:
GOP gubernatorial hopeful Rick Lazio yesterday called on the Public Service Commission to zap the Ground Zero mosque because of the revelation that Con Ed owns half the site.
“As governor I will appoint commissioners . . . who, like me, oppose this group’s plan to build a mosque at Ground Zero — and I encourage New Yorkers to call the Public Service commissioners and tell them the same,” he said.
The disclosure in Sunday’s Post about the property’s ownership proves the mosque’s developers “have been operating under false pretenses,” he said.
The commission, which oversees utility rate hikes, may get to weigh in on the controversial plan if Con Ed sells its building on Park Place to mosque developer Sharif El-Gamal.
El-Gamal, of Soho Properties, paid $700,000 last year to take over a 99-year lease on the utility’s building and has said he wants to buy it outright. […]
Assemblyman Richard Brodsky (D-Westchester), who chairs the committee on corporation, authorities and commissions, personally opposes the mosque, saying, “This is the site of mass murder. It would be much better if the parties could get together and figure out something that is reasonable.”
But Brodsky, a candidate for attorney general, said he won’t get involved.
“The law has to be fairly applied to everyone without regard to religious views,” he said.
Even the PSC is not sure it will have a say.
“As of today, we are not sure if this issue will even come before the commission for a determination,” said spokesman James Denn.
Gov. Paterson, who supports the mosque, won’t get involved, said his spokesman Morgan Hook.
Con Ed said it would follow its “legal obligations under the lease” and not consider outside factors….