They said they were doing it to further the cause of Islam, but of course everyone knows that this has nothing to do with Islam. “Five Muslim men planned attack on NSW army base, Supreme Court told,” by Norrie Ross in the Herald Sun, September 13 (thanks to Pamela Geller):
FIVE Muslim men planned an armed terrorist attack on a Sydney army base to further the cause of Islam by killing as many people as possible, a Supreme Court jury heard today.
Prosecutor Nick Robinson SC said the men took a number of steps in preparation for the attack, including sending one of their number to Somalia to obtain a fatwa or religious decree to permit the plan to go ahead….
The plan was that five or six men armed with high powered weapons would enter the Holsworthy Army Base and fire at and kill as many people as possible before they were either killed or overwhelmed.
They planned to use weapons that could fire at least 60 bullets.
On trial are Saney Edow Aweys, 26, Mr Khayre, 22, Abdirahman Mohamud Ahmed, 25, and Wissam Mahmoud Fattal, 33,and Nayef El Sayed, 25….
Mr Robinson said the men believed Islam was under attack from the West and that Australians and the Australian government were oppressing innocent Muslims in Afghanistan.
They were also upset that another man had been convicted of terrorist acts in this country.
“The Crown case was that this was to advance the cause of Islam,” he said….
Before the trial commenced, Justice Betty King warned the jury that the trial was about the alleged commission of a criminal offence, not about Islam.
“The Islamic faith is not on trial,” Justice King said. “It isn’t about being a Muslim.”…
Of course! What does Islam have to do with a gang of thugs intending to commit violence in fidelity to the teachings of…uh…never mind…