“Allah did not create man so that he could have fun. The aim of creation was for mankind to be put to the test through hardship and prayer. An Islamic regime must be serious in every field. There are no jokes in Islam. There is no humor in Islam. There is no fun in Islam. There can be no fun and joy in whatever is serious.” — Ayatollah Khomeini
Hadith Qudsi 19:5: “The Prophet said that Allah commanded him to destroy all the musical instruments, idols, crosses and all the trappings of ignorance.” (The Hadith Qudsi, or holy Hadith, are those in which Muhammad transmits the words of Allah, although those words are not in the Qur’an.)
Muhammad also said:
(1) “Allah Mighty and Majestic sent me as a guidance and mercy to believers and commanded me to do away with musical instruments, flutes, strings, crucifixes, and the affair of the pre-Islamic period of ignorance.”
(2) “On the Day of Resurrection, Allah will pour molten lead into the ears of whoever sits listening to a songstress.”
(3) “Song makes hypocrisy grow in the heart as water does herbage.”
(4) “This community will experience the swallowing up of some people by the earth, metamorphosis of some into animals, and being rained upon with stones.” Someone asked, “When will this be, O Messenger of Allah?” and he said, “When songstresses and musical instruments appear and wine is held to be lawful.”
(5) “There will be peoples of my Community who will hold fornication, silk, wine, and musical instruments to be lawful ….” — ‘Umdat al-Salik r40.0
Today’s fatwa helps the pious Muslim deal with music that cannot be avoided. Sharia Alert from Islam QA: “Listening to music when one is put on hold,” from Islam QA (thanks to Mark):
My Muslim brother asks: “At my job site the disbelievers play music over the intercom. I want to know whether I am responsible for this. Insha Allah!”
Praise be to Allaah.
If you have the choice and are able to remove this evil, then do so. If the matter is beyond your control, then you will not be held accountable, so long as you do not deliberately listen and enjoy that, because music is haraam (see Question #5011). The same applies to singing, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“And of mankind is he who purchases idle talks (i.e. music, singing) to mislead (men) from the path of Allaah without knowledge”¦” [Luqmaan 31:6]
Ibn Mas”ood said: This refers to singing. Similar views were narrated from others among the Sahaabah (may Allaah be pleased with them all) and the Salaf. Shaykh al-Islam (Ibn Taymiyah) differentiated between listening for the purpose of enjoyment enjoyment, and unintentional hearing where one has no choice in the matter. In the latter case there is no blame or sin involved, and Allaah does not burden a soul beyond its scope. If the other party puts you on hold on the phone, then try not to listen to the music as much as possible. Beware of actively enjoying the music, and seek the forgiveness of Allaah, for Allaah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid