Listening to music: haram. Murdering people who listen to music: halal.
Hadith Qudsi 19:5: “The Prophet said that Allah commanded him to destroy all the musical instruments, idols, crosses and all the trappings of ignorance.” (The Hadith Qudsi, or holy Hadith, are those in which Muhammad transmits the words of Allah, although those words are not in the Qur’an.)
Muhammad also said:
(1) “Allah Mighty and Majestic sent me as a guidance and mercy to believers and commanded me to do away with musical instruments, flutes, strings, crucifixes, and the affair of the pre-Islamic period of ignorance.”
(2) “On the Day of Resurrection, Allah will pour molten lead into the ears of whoever sits listening to a songstress.”
(3) “Song makes hypocrisy grow in the heart as water does herbage.”
(4) “This community will experience the swallowing up of some people by the earth, metamorphosis of some into animals, and being rained upon with stones.” Someone asked, “When will this be, O Messenger of Allah?” and he said, “When songstresses and musical instruments appear and wine is held to be lawful.”
(5) “There will be peoples of my Community who will hold fornication, silk, wine, and musical instruments to be lawful ….” — ‘Umdat al-Salik r40.0
“Blast at Afghan music market, two dead: officials,” from AFP, June 23 (thanks to Charles):
KABUL “” An improvised bomb exploded at a music market in an Afghan city on Saturday, leaving two people dead, officials said, a day after Taliban militants stormed a lakeside resort near Kabul, killing at least 18.
The blast at the market in the eastern city of Jalalabad, close to the border with Pakistan’s militant-infested tribal areas, wounded four people, local government spokesman Ahmad Zia Abdulzai said.
Two of the casualties later died from their injuries, Sayed Afandi Sayedi, a senior doctor at the local hospital, said.
Under the hardline rule of the Taliban, overthrown by a US-led invasion in 2001, music was regarded as un-Islamic and banned, and Afghan music shop owners particularly in Jalalabad, have recently complained of being threatened by extremists….