Britain gone insane. “Chatham pensioner, 85, charged after allegedly abusing Muslims outside Gillingham mosque in wake of Woolwich terror murder,” by Lynn Cox for Kent Online, May 25 (thanks to Blazing Cat Fur):
An 85-year-old woman arrested outside Gillingham Mosque after allegedly hurling abuse at Muslims has been charged with a racially aggravated public order offence.
The pensioner, from Chatham, was handcuffed and taken away in a van by officers after trouble flared as worshippers left Friday prayers.
She was held by officers outside the Canterbury Street mosque as Kent Police vowed to take a hard line against reprisal attacks following the terrorist murder of a soldier.
The woman has now been released on police bail ahead of an appearance at Medway Magistrates’ Court at a date to be confirmed.
Meanwhile, a 27-year-old man has also been charged with a public order offence and threats to commit criminal damage in a separate incident in Gillingham.
Police were called to a disturbance outside shop in the High Street at about 5pm on Thursday.
The charges comes after a man appeared in court yesterday afternoon to deny raiding Gillingham Mosque just hours after 25-year-old Drummer Lee Rigby was hacked to death by suspected Islamist extremists in Woolwich, south east London.
The elderly woman was arrested outside Gillingham Mosque at just before 2pm yesterday.
She and her husband had been enjoying a KFC lunch at a nearby restaurant before the couple waiting at a bus stop opposite the religious building.
Trouble flared as worshippers began to leave the mosque and police arrested the woman.
Her husband had started wandering off down the road, but managed to get back to the van before his wife was taken to the police station.
Before the incident, many Muslims turning up for Friday prayers were pleased to see a police presence of three vehicles outside.
One young worshipper, who did not want to be named, said: “I’m part of this community and I feel safe anyway, but it is nice to see the police presence here today.”
Yesterday, Andrew Grindlay – of Granville Road, Gillingham – appeared at Medway Magistrates’ Court to deny an attack at Gillingham Mosque on Wednesday night.
The 45-year-old pleaded not guilty to religiously aggravated criminal damage and burglary.
He was released on bail after a 40-minute hearing and will next appear at the same court on Monday, July 22 when his case will be send to Crown court.
The mosque in Canterbury Street was damaged in an attack in which windows were smashed and bookcases containing copies of the Koran damaged.
A door frame, lock and carpet were damaged, three windows broken, two shelves pulled off the wall and a copy of the Koran damaged.
Kent Police said officers will continue to provide a high-visibility presence across the county this weekend to prevent potential reprisal attacks at Kent mosques.
The heightened patrols come as police promised a “zero tolerance” approach to anyone who targets the county’s Muslim community….
Great. But when will the police end their apparently limitless tolerance for Muslims who target the country’s non-Muslim community?