One might almost get the impression that the Indonesian government was sympathetic to these jihad terrorist mass murderers. But surely that couldn’t be it, could it? Everyone knows that the Indonesians are moderates, and eschew all “extremism.” Don’t they?
“Paradise for terrorists: 36 Bali bombers that killed 92 Australians are walking free,” by Paul Toohey, News Corp Australia, May 4, 2014 (thanks to Kenneth):
FOR the survivors of the Bali bomb attacks it is a terrifying tally, but for the families of the 92 Australians killed it is simply heartbreaking.
All 36 Indonesian terrorists who were sentenced to anything less than life for their parts in the 2002 and 2005 bar and restaurant attacks, which killed a further 130 victims, are now free.
And up to 100 more terrorists convicted for other attacks on local and western interests in Indonesia will be freed in the coming year, according to a leading expert.
Only five men from the two Bali attacks remain behind bars on life sentences. Indonesia’s Justice and Human Rights Ministry said they were not entitled to remission or clemency.
Close to 50 people, most of them members of hate group Jemaah Islamiyah, were involved in planning and executing the 2002 Bali attacks. Most served sentences ranging six years or less to 18 years.
They include the men who recruited the suicide bombers, drove bomb-laden vehicles or built suicide bomb vests, to plotters, financiers and others who sheltered the world’s most-wanted terrorists.
Those now free include Abdul Rauf, who was sentenced to 16 years for recruiting the 2002 Bali suicide bombers, and Mohammad Cholily, who assembled the three suicide bomb vests used in 2005.
Cholily was released last year after having 11 years cut from his 18-year sentence.
At his trial in 2006, Cholily expressed regret that he had been forced to reveal the location of bomb expert Dr Azahari bin Husin, who advised on how to make the 2002 and 2005 bombs, and was gunned down by police in 2005.
“I feel guilty, because my words caused the death of a man,” said Cholily, referring to terrorist Azahari rather than the 20 people, including four Australians, who were killed died in 2005. Masykur Abdul Kadir, who helped the bombers rent a house in Bali and drove them around surveying targets, was released in 2010 after serving seven years of his 15-year sentence.
Anif Solchanudin, who sheltered terror mastermind Noordin M Top and helped plan the 2005 attacks, was released in July last year after also serving only seven years of his 15 years.