This jihadist recruitment network is led by a former Guantanamo Bay inmate. And so yet again we see the folly of the Obama policy of emptying out Gitmo while doing nothing to protect non-Muslims from the jihad that these men were certain to return to waging.
“Spain raids jihadist cell ‘led by ex-Guantanamo inmate,'” AFP, June 16, 2014:
Madrid (AFP) – Spanish police arrested eight people in pre-dawn raids in Madrid on Monday against a jihadist recruitment network led by a former Guantanamo Bay inmate, the government said.
Police have so far launched 12 raids in the Spanish capital, detaining eight people, and the investigation remains open, Spain’s interior ministry said in a statement.
The Islamic cell found and dispatched recruits for Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) militants based in Syria and Iraq, the ministry said.
ISIL fighters made rapid military gains in Iraq last week, seizing the second-biggest city Mosul and coming within 80 kilometres (50 miles) of Baghdad’s city limits. Online photos, which cannot be independently confirmed, apparently show ISIL militants massacring captured Iraqi soldiers during the offensive.
“It should be highlighted that the leader of this cell lived in Spain after passing through the Guantanamo military base, having been arrested in Afghanistan in 2001,” the Spanish ministry said, without providing further details.
President Barack Obama’s administration is trying to shut down its notorious prison at a US military base in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, where many detainees are suspected of terror links but the authorities often lack sufficient evidence to try them in court.
Spain’s government has said it fears battle-hardened Islamist fighters may return to Spain from Syria and other conflict zones under the influence of Al-Qaeda-inspired groups, presenting a threat of attacks.
The latest operation by Spanish security forces is the third significant raid on jihadist recruitment cells announced in as many months.
On May 30, security forces arrested six suspects in Melilla, one of two Spanish-governed cities along with Ceuta on the northern Morocco coast.
Spain accused the network of recruiting and sending out jihadists to join “terrorist organisations” based in Mali and Libya.
On March 14, Spanish and Moroccan forces arrested seven suspects as they broke up a cell suspected of sending volunteer fighters to Mali, Syria and Libya.
The authorities detained three people in Morocco and another four in Spain — one of whom was caught in the southern city of Malaga and the other three in Melilla….