Why is Abdul Nacer Benbrika a cult figure among some Muslims in Australia? Why doesn’t the vast majority of peaceful Muslims rise up and condemn this idolizing of a man who plotted to murder 80,000 people in the name of Islam and jihad? Why do non-Muslim authorities never ponder the implications of the fact that they do not?
“Supporters rally behind terrorist Abdul Nacer Benbrika who plotted MCG bomb,” by Alex White and James Dowling, Herald Sun, August 3, 2014 (thanks to Kenneth):
A JAILED terrorist who plotted to kill 80,000 people is still considered a risk by security agencies.
Algerian-born Abdul Nacer Benbrika, who led a terror cell planning to bomb the MCG on Grand Final day, is believed to still hold a strong influence over young extremists in Victoria, despite being held in the high-security unit at Barwon Prison.
Several devotees in Melbourne’s northern suburbs of Preston, Brunswick and Coburg have praised Benbrika as their spiritual leader online. They labelled the cult figure a “king” and a “martyr” on several Facebook pages.
At least three women in Melbourne’s north have photoshopped pictures of Benbrika covered in love hearts and roses accompanied with the words “Luv U”.
One woman even labelled the wannabe mass murderer as a “cutie”. According to intelligence sources, some members of Benbrika’s crew severed ties with the group while in jail, but others remain involved and supportive of their leader and his cause.
Last week, the Herald Sun revealed two of Benbrika’s followers — the Raad brothers, Ahmed and Ezzit — who had been released from jail, had close ties to Adam Dahman, 18, of Northcote, who detonated a suicide bomb in Iraq on July 17.
Friends said Dahman had been radicalised by the notorious extremist Raad family living in Melbourne’s north with links to Benbrika.
A community member told the Herald Sun that jail had done nothing to lessen the Raad brothers’ passionate evangelism.
It’s not “evangelism.” It’s dawah: Islamic proselytizing.
In March, a male claiming to be related to Benrika said he worked at Melbourne Airport and posted jihadist calls on social media on an account that has since been removed.Benbrika, who was also known as Sheik Abu Bakr, is serving 15 years with a minimum of 12 for directing a terrorist organisation.
During his court case, informants revealed a 16-month probe by Operation Pendennis uncovered the plot, which also considered Crown casino on Grand Prix weekend in 2006 as a potential bomb target. Security sources believe Benbika still holds strong extremist views.