Notice how this AP report repeats the Uighur versions of events uncritically. They’re on the side of the jihadists, so they must be right — as far as the mainstream media is concerned. The mainstream media rejects in principle the idea that jihad against unbelievers is taught in the Qur’an and Sunnah, and so when jihad against unbelievers actually breaks out, it must be the unbelievers’ fault — a response to some provocation.
“15 dead in attack in west China’s Xinjiang region,” Associated Press, November 29, 2014 (thanks to Twostellas):
BEIJING — An attack in China’s troubled western Xinjiang region left 15 people dead and 14 injured, state media reported Saturday, the latest in a wave of ethnic violence there that has claimed dozens of lives over the past year.
The official Xinhua News Agency reported that the attack took place at a “food street” Friday in Shache county, the same region where state media said a series of attacks in July left 96 people dead, including 59 assailants.
The Tianshan news portal said the assailants in Friday’s attack wielded explosives, knives and at least one vehicle. Xinhua reported that 11 of the 15 people killed were assailants.
Police in Shache county declined to provide information about the incident.
Xinjiang has seen repeated violence over the past year as members of the Muslim Uighur (WEE-gur) minority group have bristled under what they say is repressive Chinese government rule.
The central government regularly blocks attempts to independently confirm state media reports of ethnic violence in Xinjiang. Uighur groups say police have used indiscriminate deadly force against people protesting the government’s policies in the region.
The U.S.-based Uyghur American Association disputed government accounts of the July attacks that described mobs rampaging through towns with knives and axes targeting majority Han Chinese. The association said police instead opened fire on people protesting against a security crackdown on Muslims during Ramadan, killing more than 20.
Last month, a Xinjiang court sentenced 12 people to death for the July attacks and handed down death sentences with two-year reprieves to another 15 people….