He was on bail for involvement in the honor murder of his ex-wife. He was charged with sexual assault. He had pleaded guilty to sending harassing letters to the families of Australian servicemen slain in Afghanistan. But none of that rose to any significant level of concern for Australian authorities — after all, they know it is a Religion of Peace, and too much scrutiny of its more unsavory adherents could well be “Islamophobic.”
Prime Minister Tony Abbott is concerned about this now, but yesterday he was saying that Man Haron Monis’s motivation was unclear after he had hostages hold the black flag of jihad against the cafe window.
“Abbott: Why was Sydney siege gunman not on terror list?,” BBC, December 16, 2014:
Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott has questioned why the gunman in the Sydney cafe siege was not on the country’s terror watch list.
He said the government would examine why Man Haron Monis had been on bail.
Mr Abbott paid tribute to the two hostages who died in Monday’s siege, describing them as “good people”.
The two hostages and Monis died as police commandos stormed the cafe in Martin Place early on Tuesday morning, ending the 16-hour siege.
An investigation has been launched into the police operation.
Police are also investigating the motives of Monis – an Iranian refugee who was a known extremist and faced multiple criminal charges – and how he got a gun.
At a press conference, Mr Abbott said: “How can someone who has had such a long and chequered history not be on the appropriate watch lists and how can someone like that be entirely at large in the community.
“These are questions that we need to look at carefully and calmly and methodically.”…