Those who advocate for the closing of Guantanamo have never dealt with the problem of recidivism. So many former Gitmo inmates have returned to the jihad. More will join them. More non-Muslims will be killed. Does this matter to “human rights campaigners”?
Note also that al-Rubaysh is a graduate of the Saudi program to “rehabilitate” jihadis. This is the kind of program on which Britain is staking its future.
“US government offering $5M reward for Al Qaeda leader freed from Gitmo,” FoxNews.com, December 23, 2014:
The Obama administration is scrambling to track down an Al Qaeda terrorist released from Guantanamo Bay years ago, offering a $5 million reward for information on him and placing him on a global terrorist list.
Ibrahim al-Rubaysh was originally released in 2006 by the George W. Bush administration and put into a Saudi Arabian “rehabilitation” program. However, al-Rubaysh returned to the battlefield and now serves as a top leader with Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula — one of the most dangerous Al Qaeda affiliates.
The case underscores the continued risks in transferring detainees from the controversial prison camp — another four were released over the weekend to Afghanistan.
The Pentagon, though, insists that it continues to take precautions before releasing prisoners.
Lt. Col. Myles Caggins, Defense Department spokesman for detainee policy, said more than 90 percent of detainees transferred under the Obama administration “have resumed quiet lives in various countries.”
Al-Rubaysh, he said, was held at Guantanamo from 2002 and transferred in 2006.
“Since 2009, the Defense Department and five government departments and agencies conduct thorough security and intelligence reviews prior to transferring Guantanamo detainees,” Caggins said.
Recent alerts from the State Department revealed how al-Rubaysh has reestablished himself in militant circles since his release.
A briefing posting on the department’s Rewards for Justice website offers up to $5 million for information that “brings justice” to the former detainee. It says he has served as a senior “sharia official” with AQAP since 2013 and as such, “provides the justification for attacks conducted by AQAP.” He also is involved in planning attacks, the posting says.
A statement released last week by the department putting him on a list of “Specially Designated Global Terrorists” offered more details about his activities. The department said al-Rubaysh has made public statements, including this past August, “where he called on Muslims to wage war against the United States.”…