“Kenyan Authorities Say Son of Official Was Among Gunmen in University Attack,” by Jeffrey Gettleman and Isma’il Kushkush, New York Times, April 5, 2015 (thanks to Block Ness):
NAIROBI, Kenya — One of the gunmen who attacked the Kenyan university where nearly 150 students were massacred last week was the son of a government official — and once himself a promising student — who had recently broken off contact with his family and disappeared, the Kenyan authorities said Sunday.
The discovery was made after Kenyan police officers paraded the gunman’s naked, bullet-riddled body in the back of a pickup truck. It immediately rekindled fears that chaos in neighboring Somalia was not the only factor driving terrorist attacks in Kenya and that the problem here may be more homegrown.
Tremendous grief, pain, rising frustration and a palpable sense of dread were starting to seep across Kenya as a three-day period of mourning began and the bodies of 142 students slowly made their way back to towns and quiet villages in nearly every corner of this country.
Accounts emerged Sunday that the police commandos who finally ended the siege of the university did not arrive until more than eight hours after the attack began because of logistical issues, raising questions about whether more young people could have been saved.
“Something has to change,” said an editorial in the Sunday Nation, a Kenyan newspaper. “Kenya must change from its Hakuna Matata posture” — “hakuna matata” is a common Swahili expression meaning “no problem” — “and realize that a war is afoot against a merciless enemy.”…
The whole world needs to realize that.