“A policy which closes our doors to over 200 legitimate travelers in the hopes of preventing a small number of travelers who intend to harm Americans from using the visa system to enter the United States will not achieve its aim of making our country safer.”
Why not? What is the alternative? We saw what it was during the Obama administration: let in essentially anyone who wants to come, without adequate vetting procedures, and thereby admit a certain number of jihadis. That policy gets people killed. Vetting? Really? Tashfeen Malik, one of the San Bernardino jihad mass murderers, passed five separate background checks at five different U.S. agencies. Also, all of the jihadis who murdered 130 people in Paris in November 2015 had just entered Europe as refugees.
The choice is clear: either keep out some “legitimate travelers” or allow in jihad mass murderers. If these State Department wonks don’t want to stand behind President Trump’s choice, they can resign. The foreign policy establishment is a swamp that is in dire need of draining anyway.
“Dissent memo circulating in the State Department over Trump’s policy on refugees and immigrants,” by Carol Morello, Washington Post, January 30, 2017:
State Department diplomats are circulating a memo objecting to President Trump’s executive order last week to suspend the nation’s refugee program and deny U.S. entry to citizens of seven predominantly Muslim countries in the Middle East.
The document is destined for what’s known as the State Department’s “dissent channel,” which was set up during the Vietnam War as a way for diplomats to signal their disagreement on foreign policy decisions to senior management. The communications are typically private.
It is not known whether the memo has been submitted yet to Acting Secretary of State Thomas Shannon, a holdover from the Obama administration who is in charge of the department until a replacement is named. The Senate is expected to confirm Rex Tillerson, a former ExxonMobil executive who is designated for the job.
The State Department officially acknowledged the existence of the memo Monday morning, and vowed to respect it. Since Trump’s announcement Friday, the document has been circulating swiftly.
“The Dissent Channel is a long-standing official vehicle for State Department employees to convey alternative views and perspectives on policy issues,” acting spokesman Mark Toner said. “This is an important process that the Acting Secretary, and the Department as a whole, value and respect. It allows State employees to express divergent policy views candidly and privately to senior leadership.”
According to a draft version of the memo, first reported by the Lawfare blog, the dissenters say the ban will not deter attacks on American soil, but will generate ill will to U.S. citizens.
“A policy which closes our doors to over 200 legitimate travelers in the hopes of preventing a small number of travelers who intend to harm Americans from using the visa system to enter the United States will not achieve its aim of making our country safer,” it said. “Moreover, such a policy runs counter to core american values of nondiscrimination, fair play and extending a warm welcome to foreign visitors and immigrants.”…