The extraordinary outburst about the way Britain shares information with Libya came in the wake of the terror attack carried out by Salman Abedi
Libya, which has adopted Sharia, is beset with troubles from Islamic State strongholds, warring government factions and extensive corruption. Sharing intelligence with such a country to fight jihad would be counterproductive.
Libyan officials have slammed British intelligence agencies for a lack of cooperation that “caused” the Manchester suicide bombing.
It wasn’t lack of cooperation with Libya that “caused” the jihad attack, it was Britain’s sloppiness regarding Islamic jihad. Abedi was known to have “‘proven’ links with Islamic State… All of a sudden he travelled to Libya and then most likely to Syria, became radicalised and decided to commit this attack’, according to France’s interior minister.” British intelligence also knew that he had been to Syria. It is Britain’s laxity in allowing Islamic State jihadis to move freely in and out of the country that led to this attack. Britain, along with other Western nations, seems to have lost control of its borders and has even lost interest in trying to control them.
“Libyan officials blast Britain for not sharing intelligence in run-up to Manchester terror”, by Belinda Robinson, Express, June 13, 2017:
The extraordinary outburst about the way Britain shares information with Libya came in the wake of the terror attack carried out by Salman Abedi, 22, on May 22.
Mr Abedi was born in Manchester but his parents were Libyan refugees who fled to England to escape Colonel Gadaffi’s reign.
His suicide bomb attack at an Ariana Grande concert in Manchester Arena left 22 dead, eight of which were children.
Libyan intelligence officers complained about poor security sharing with the UK, which they believe could have prevented the attack, the BBC reports.
Mr Abedi spent a month in Tripoli from April 15, before returning home to England to commit the atrocity.
Libyan officials said that throughout his time in Libya, he was under surveillance, along with his brother, Hashem, and father Ramadan.
Both are still under investigation by officials in Libya’s security services, the Special Deterrence Force.
A spokesperson said the attack had been planned as far back as December 2016.
Shortly after the atrocity, police said they had rounded up members of Mr Abedi’s network.
But police said Sunday all 22 suspects arrested over last month’s attack have been released without charge, while acknowledging that detectives are still not sure whether the attacker had accomplices.
Russ Jackson, head of counterterrorism policing for northwest England, said police believe Mr Abedi assembled the bomb himself, but it is unclear “whether he acted alone in obtaining the materials for the device… and whether others knew or were complicit in the storage of materials knowing what was being planned”.
Mr Jackson said some of those arrested had offered “accounts which explain innocent contact with Mr Abedi”.
He said risk to the public had been considered before suspects were released.
Suspects arrested under terrorism laws can be held for up to 14 days before they must be charged or released.
Mr Jackson said police had traced Mr Abedi’s movements in the weeks before the attack in detail and “understand how the chemicals and equipment were obtained and where the bomb was assembled”.
He said the vast police investigation will continue “as we work to understand the full extent of the involvement of anyone else”.
Police released new images Sunday of Mr Abedi waking through Manchester with a blue suitcase, which they believe contained bomb materials…..