It’s a good thing we have learned imams such as Pope Francis and H.R. McMaster to assure us that jihad terror has nothing to do with Islam. Otherwise we might start to suspect some correlation.
Teenager Moussa Oukabir avoided his local mosque for fear it had been infiltrated by the security services, say reports in Spain.
A suspect in the Spain terror attacks told his surviving brother he “had to do jihad involving war” before carrying out the rampages, according to reports.
Driss Oukabir, whose name the van that mowed down pedestrians in Barcelona was hired in, made the confession to a judge on Friday.
He admitted his younger sibling, Moussa, who died in the second attack in Cambrils, tried to hide his radicalisation in the weeks before the assaults, El Pais said.
Oukabir claimed he noticed his brother praying more but avoiding their local mosque for fear it had been infiltrated by security services.
The 18-year-old Moroccan also downplayed his own role in the attacks, saying he had unknowingly rented the van used on Las Ramblas as a “favour”.
Oukabir made the comments at a release hearing, which was subsequently denied.
Judge Fernando Andreu told him he must have been “fully aware” of his 17-year-old brother’s extremist views.
Moussa “would have suffered a religious exacerbation” reflected in his dress, hair style and religious habits, Judge Andreu said.
And he was accompanied to collect the van on a 60 mile trip by the “hardest core” of the terror cell – thought to be made up of 12 people….