“And prepare against them whatever you are able of power and of steeds of war by which you may strike terror in the enemy of Allah and your enemy and others besides them whom you do not know, whom Allah knows.” (Qur’an 8:60)
“Save the Children Is Attacked in Afghanistan; ISIS Claims Responsibility,” by Zabihullah Ghazi and Mujib Mashal, New York Times, January 24, 2018:
JALALABAD, Afghanistan — Gunmen stormed the office of Save the Children in the eastern Afghan city of Jalalabad after an explosion on Wednesday morning, killing at least one person, officials said. Hours later, with fighting at the scene still underway, the aid agency said it had suspended all Afghanistan operations.
“We remain committed to resuming our operations and lifesaving work as soon as possible,” Save the Children said in a statement. The agency, which provides aid in 120 countries, works in 16 of Afghanistan’s 34 provinces, and its programs reach more than 700,000 Afghan children, according to its website.
The Islamic State’s local affiliate in Afghanistan claimed responsibility for the attack, according to the group’s Amaq news agency.
Attaullah Khogyani, a spokesman for the governor of Nangarhar Province, which includes Jalalabad, said the gunmen entered the charity’s office after a suicide bombing in front of the building.
“I saw a white car arrive, then armed men rushed out of the car,” said a witness, Mohammed Waseem, 28. “After that a blast occurred, followed by gunfire. I had to run away to seek safety for myself.”
Later in the day, with fighting between militants and security forces still underway, Mr. Khogyani’s office said that one person had been killed and 20 wounded, but that most of the injuries were not severe.
There are at least two schools in the area where the attack occurred. Pictures circulating on social media showed children, some accompanied by adults and others on their own, running away from the scene….