In his famous outreach speech to the Islamic world from Cairo on June 4, 2009, Barack Obama said:
Islam has a proud tradition of tolerance. We see it in the history of Andalusia and Cordoba during the Inquisition. I saw it firsthand as a child in Indonesia, where devout Christians worshiped freely in an overwhelmingly Muslim country.
Let’s test his theory. Here are a few notable facts you will discover in my forthcoming book, The History of Jihad From Muhammad to ISIS:
- The Christian Patriarch who lamented that the Arab conquest of Jerusalem was characterized by “so much destruction and plunder” and “incessant outpourings of human blood”;
- The Muslim leader who had the Colossus of Rhodes sold off as scrap metal because for him, it wasn’t a “wonder of the world,” it was just an artifact of jahiliyya, pre-Islamic ignorance;
- The Muslim leader who wrote to the Byzantine Emperor, a Christian, demanding that he “renounce this Jesus and convert to the great God whom I serve. If not, how will this Jesus be able to save you from my hands?”;
- The caliph who exhorted his governors not to lenient on the non-Muslims, saying: “The non-Muslims are nothing but dirt. Allah has created them to be partisans of Satan”;
- The Muslim leader who gave ruthless orders to the Muslim invaders of India: “Kill anyone belonging to the combatants; arrest their sons and daughters for hostages and imprison them”;
- How the Muslim Spain that Obama praised became a center of the Islamic slave trade, where Muslim buyers could purchase non-Muslim sex-slave girls as young as eleven years old, as well as slave boys for sex as well, or slave boys raised to become slave soldiers;
- The Islamic warrior who fought without mercy against the Hindus in India: “the blood of the infidels flowed so copiously that the stream was discolored”;
- The Islamic caliphate that made it a regular practice to seize the children of Christian families, convert them to Islam, and train them as slave soldiers;
- The Muslim reformer who gained a large following among Muslims by personally stoning an accused adulteress to death;
- The real story of how the Sphinx lost its nose (no, Napoleon’s troops did not shoot it off during target practice);
- Much, much more.
“Islam has a proud tradition of tolerance” — Barack Obama is gone from the White House, but many people believe that to this day, and such assumptions influence public policy. Discover what really happened and get the whole truth in The History of Jihad From Muhammad to ISIS. Click here to preorder now.