Recently three organizations, Human Rights Association (İHD) İstanbul Branch, Commission Against Racism and Discrimination, and the European Grassroots Antiracist Movement (EGAM) planned to hold a commemoration in Istanbul, honoring the victims of the Armenian Genocide of April 1915. The Turkish government, however, first demanded that the word “genocide” be removed from the statement that was going to be read out at the commemoration, and then, when this was refused, canceled the event altogether, and jailed three of its participants.
This draconian action was of a piece with the Turkish government’s longstanding and consistent denial that any genocide took place. Consistent with the usual Islamic supremacist practice of denying all responsibility for wrongdoing, the Turkish government continues to insist that neither the Ottomans nor the Kemalists bear any guilt for the eradication of the Armenian and Greek presence from Asia Minor — a presence that dated from time immemorial.
In my new book The History of Jihad From Muhammad to ISIS (click here to preorder), I reveal what Turkish authorities are so intent upon covering up, including:
- The British official who witnessed Armenians being “thrown upon their backs and their throats cut, after the manner in which sheep are sacrificed”
- Conservative estimates just from the initial wave of the Genocide: churches converted to mosques: 328. Churches plundered: 508. Christians forcibly converted to Islam: 15,000.
- “We made war on the Armenian unbelievers”: an Ottoman soldier’s enthusiastic letter home, vowing to “kill all the Armenians” in the town to which he was traveling
- The shocking reason why the Armenian Genocide was carried out: revealed by an Ottoman interior minister
- Ottoman official who declared: “we must finish off the Greeks as we did with the Armenians.…today I sent squads to the interior to kill every Greek on sight”
- The chilling Ottoman response to objections to the genocide by the Ambassador from the United States
- When the New York Times actually reported new: its warning that there would “soon be no more Christians in the Ottoman Empire”
- How Adolf Hitler used the Armenian Genocide as a template for his genocide of the Jews
- Much more
Preorder your copy of The History of Jihad From Muhammad to ISIS here.